Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chance of being pregnant 4 weeks post partum? HELP!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 9 Replies

My baby is a little over 4 weeks old and this morning my hubby and I had sex for the first time since I gave birth. We used a condom as birth control but it broke. I'm not sure how much sperm actually got inside me (sorry, TMI) but it did rip and now I'm terrified I could be pregnant again. We are NOT ready for another baby..we weren't even ready for this one! I am not on any other form of birth control...however I am exclusively pumping breast milk (she does nurse but only a couple times a week if that, so pretty much exclusively pumping). I know that breastfeeding can be a form of birth control but does anybody know if that also applies if I'm just pumping?!  I pump every time she eats and she sleeps for 4-5 hours at a time during the night so if exclusively pumping is a form of birth control, would the effectiveness be diminished by the long stretches without pumping? What is the chance of me being pregnant...? Also does anybody know if it's safe to take plan B while breastfeeding or if it would lower my milk supply?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Breast feeding is not a form of birth control. Only time will tell if you are or not. I don't know what is in plan b. You would have to read the box or ask a pharmacist about that.
Mommylovesdada
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM
If you are ebf and baby gets no supplements (including binkies) and still wakes at night to feed, that is BC for six months. However, I don't believe pumping delays ovulation the way nursing does. That being said, there is a morning after pill that is basically mega doses of the mini pill, which my pharmacist said was fine to take. (we did nfp while nursing and had a slip up one month) I would call your ob and double check though.
Pandapanda
by Amber on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Breastfeeding is not a birth control method. It only supresses ovulation in some women. Your breasts don't respond to a pump the same way they would to a baby, so I honestly don't know if pumping would have the same possible effect as exclusive breastfeeding. Call your doctor's office and ask for their suggestion.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
Larsbug
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM

doctors tell you to wait 6-8 weeks for a reason...reason being your are EXTREMELY fertile before those weeks and you cervix is still open from giving birth... good luck

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM

wait and test. in a couple weeks.

cem9532
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM
You could call any pharmacy and ask about the plan b pill while breastfeeding. That might be the only thing to guarantee you wont get pregnant. Gl hun
2012Rabbit12
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM

How scary. I would take plan b. i'm not sure if it's safe or not if ur breastfeeding. call ur dr or ob right away and ask them. 

LoveOfWisdom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I'd be more concerned being 4w pp with plan B, it can really reek havoc on your body.  I'm not a praying type, but I may just be in this situation.  Good luck mama!!

DesertDuck
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Even if you weren't pumping, BF'ing isn't a guarantee of birth control. I have a friend who conceived within the first 2 months post-partum while exclusively breast feeding. I'd hesitate before taking something as strong as plan B while post-partum--maybe check with the doctor's office?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)