Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

baby shower for second child?!?!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 42 Replies
I'm pregnant with our second daughter and my mom threw my first daughters baby shower n my mother in law told me then she would throw the next baby shower. She is not doing so. Is it ok to throw my own baby shower to invite a few friends....and is it ok to have a baby shower for second child?
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot think it is tacky to throw yourself one. Why not have a meet and greet baby when baby is born. I personally see no reason to have one for a second baby.

But do what you want.

mrs.ramirez
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't throw one for myself.

I did have someone throw me a second baby shower.

And I had someone offer to throw me one with this third pregnancy (my first girl) but I said I didn't have enough friends to have a baby shower, that the fact they wanted to throw me one was such a sweet gesture :) 

MzJReed
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I think the meet and greet baby is a good idea. I was wondering if I should do the baby shower thing for my second baby... I think I may do that. Good idea.

But I don't see anything wrong with throwing urself a baby shower, if u have the time and energy to put that together. I'm too lazy to do that myself. Lol. Do what makes u happy. :)

Quoting Raeann11:

A lot think it is tacky to throw yourself one. Why not have a meet and greet baby when baby is born. I personally see no reason to have one for a second baby.

But do what you want.

amberleh
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

It is typically frowned upon to thrown your own...and it depends, some people think a shower for a 2nd, especially if they are the same sex, is another faux pas...I would just mention  it to your MIL and see if she is still planning on it. Like "So I was wondering if you were going to throw the shower on a saturday or a sunday?" or something like that...

seeluxe
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM

How do you know your motherinlaw is not planning one? I've heard of people keeping it a surprise. If she said she was going to, she should follow through. If you have confirmation that she's not going to, I'd tell a friend you'd like one, and hopefully she'd offer to help, that way it's not just you doing it all yourself. Good luck and I hope you get the second baby shower that you want. 

HJMF
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this
In our family, if it's a different sex or it's been a while, we do a full blown shower, but if it's the same sex or it's not been that long, then we do a diaper shower.
jezike
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly I think giving yourself a baby shower is kinda cute. If you really want one but do not want to be seen as throwing it yourself, ask the hubby to "throw a surprise" one for you. I know it sounds weird but you can tell him that you really want one and see if he can plan a small one for you but he could tell all your family and friends that it is a surprise so you wont look like you are throwing it yourself.

Another thing - I kind of find it a little sad when the second baby does not get a shower. It's already tough being the second but to not have a shower as well...IDK, that just makes me a little sad for them :( It's like no one cares about baby #2.

krystyneh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM
My friend threw me one July 20th and my MIL will be throwing me another one August 31st (first was in Vermont where I live and the second is in New Hampshire where my in laws live) and I'm pregnant with my second. There's also going to be almost a 6 year difference in age tho
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM
In my family, only the first baby gets a baby shower.. But people usually bring a nicer gift to subsequent babies at the hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sjenkins8208
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I think both options are tacky, I'm starting to see that it may just be where im from.....it seems to be popular on here to have a baby shower for every freaking kid....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN