Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

depression and pregnancy

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 8 Replies
I have a history of depression and a family history. I spent seven years in treatment and learned how to cope with it without medication after a med happy psychiatrist convinced my parents to put me on 17 different medications for depression and anxiety at the same time. For the last 6 years I've been reluctant to consider medication, but between taking care of my LO who is six months and being pregnant and helping to care for my elderly grandmother I'm having a harder time coping with depression. I'm scheduled to see my obgyn next month and an planning on bringing it up, but would live to hear some of your experienced coping with depression during a pregnancy.
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Walker88
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:46 AM

bump

mommyziegler
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:49 AM
I'm really bad and have been on meds since 2nd grade and the only time I stop is during pregnancy! The first trimester is always hard for me but once I get into the second trimester is basically goes into remission! As long as I'm breast feeding it stays in remission! I also have two other children to care for.. It can be a battle but remember it can also be mind over matter for some things! When I feel like the world is over powering me I just sit take a deep breath and contact my Mom and it usually works because she knows all I've been through
oliver92
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:57 AM

I actually had this same feeling last week, I have 3 at home now and another on way. 11, 11, & 3 (boys) and now a girl.  So last week was such a bad week for me, I was like how can I cope.  My dr however feels its normal hormone pregnancy stuff and its too early to look into medication.  I did take something with my first born, Im not sure what it was though, It was safe with ebf.  hope you feel better...

Walker88
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Thanks!

Quoting oliver92:

I actually had this same feeling last week, I have 3 at home now and another on way. 11, 11, & 3 (boys) and now a girl.  So last week was such a bad week for me, I was like how can I cope.  My dr however feels its normal hormone pregnancy stuff and its too early to look into medication.  I did take something with my first born, Im not sure what it was though, It was safe with ebf.  hope you feel better...

oliver92
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

You are so welcome, we all cannot help but feel overwhelmed some times.  I was already speaking to my lactation consultant about meds that are safe just in case. So this may be something you can look into now. :) Big hugs.

Quoting Walker88:

Thanks!

Quoting oliver92:

lifeglow
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I stopped taking zoloft when i found out i was pregnant. I was on it for 2 years before i got off so it took a while to get out of my system fully. Then when i hit 20 weeks my depression slowely started coming back, and it just got worse. So here i am 36 weeks pregnant andi decided to get back on my zoloft bc i was going through a lot of stress from my depression. It was horrible. Im on 25mg and i feel wonderful now! Anyway..i just figured i would tell you my story. I dont think you should worry about taking meds, it will only be like one or two different meds so dont worry about it. Mabe you could talk to your therapist about how what hapoened when you were younger is making it difficult to choose to take meds. Idk im sorry im no help :(
JAZ88
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Good luck, I know the feeling. I was on effexor and when I got pregnant this time I was off, my second trimester was ok, but now my depression is back and I'm a single working mom, so my Dr. Put me on Zoloft. Can't feel the change yet but I just started 2 weeks ago. I'm also trying counseling to keep myself in check. It's really hard, especially when info mercials cause sleepiness and my soon to b x hubby causes me to have major angry outbursts
JAZ88
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Weepiness not sleepiness, sorry, predictive text
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)