Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

In your opinion, is there such thing as being too old to have a child?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 18 Replies

In your opinion, is there such thing as being too old to have a child? What do you think about this?

How old is too old?

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chickensmommy
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM
No. Generally older parents have it together...financially, emotionally. Etc
Mittenmommie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Yes. I only say this because its how I feel, not that it's wrong for someone to have kids later in life.
I personally won't be having anymore after this baby. I always said I would be done by 30. The risks that come long with what the medical field refers to as geriatric pregnancies (at 30 they even call me that) are too high for me to consider it.
But I do know people who had kids later in life and they didn't mind because they got to travel and such before they had kids.
Just personally I wouldn't do it.
luckynumbr3
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I would say its a personal choice. If its not going to cause major health problems for yourself or the baby later in life then by all means have kids when you want. A friend of mine had her 4th child at 36. There was no complications during or after pregnancy and her little girl is doing great ! This woman is also more fit than many younger women I know. It just depends
jenbah81
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
For other people, I don't think there is a an ahe too old. Everyone can have them when they want. They know what they can handle and whatever works best for them is good.

For me, I always said no more after 30 too bc I had my 1st at 19yrs and an 11yrs span was enough for me. However we had our "surprise" baby conceive when was 30 and now having her at 31, I definitely feel too old for this. haha! It was so much easier getting up in the middle of the night with the last 3. hehe!
rjmac88
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM
No number. Just when you feel too old for one.
mushmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol, geriatric pregnancies?  I've had all of mine after 33 even and have never heard that term.  Advanced materinal age, yes.  But let someone refer to me as "geriatric" and they'll be hitting the floor, lol.

(Not responding to you but in general)  I'm 39 and will be two months shy of 40 when this little one arrives.  I'm 30 wks plus and have had less issues than with my previous pregnancies.  Everything with the baby is perfect, heart and all other organs, no genetic issues (we did do screening).  For some, like in my case, you don't find the father of your children until later in life.  Biologically we're able to, so why not?  When we married, we thought it'd be a blessing to have one child, given our ages and we conceived her on our honeymoon.  We ttc with both others and were blessed quickly again.  I've heard stories of girls in their 20s having genetic issues or miscarriages or other issues.  Age isn't the only factor.  THose horrible things can happen to anyone.  Now would I at 45, no.  But in my case, I'm so thankful that I didn't have kids with a loser in my 20s but instead have in my 30s with Mr Perfect :)

Quoting Mittenmommie:

Yes. I only say this because its how I feel, not that it's wrong for someone to have kids later in life.
I personally won't be having anymore after this baby. I always said I would be done by 30. The risks that come long with what the medical field refers to as geriatric pregnancies (at 30 they even call me that) are too high for me to consider it.
But I do know people who had kids later in life and they didn't mind because they got to travel and such before they had kids.

Mittenmommie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Yup lol.. The hospital I go to, my friend is a nurse in L&D and she is always calling me her favorite geriatric pregnant person.. It makes me want to slap her. She said that's the term they use for anyone 30 or older.

Quoting mushmom:

Lol, geriatric pregnancies?  I've had all of mine after 33 even and have never heard that term.  Advanced materinal age, yes.  But let someone refer to me as "geriatric" and they'll be hitting the floor, lol.

(Not responding to you but in general)  I'm 39 and will be two months shy of 40 when this little one arrives.  I'm 30 wks plus and have had less issues than with my previous pregnancies.  Everything with the baby is perfect, heart and all other organs, no genetic issues (we did do screening).  For some, like in my case, you don't find the father of your children until later in life.  Biologically we're able to, so why not?  When we married, we thought it'd be a blessing to have one child, given our ages and we conceived her on our honeymoon.  We ttc with both others and were blessed quickly again.  I've heard stories of girls in their 20s having genetic issues or miscarriages or other issues.  Age isn't the only factor.  THose horrible things can happen to anyone.  Now would I at 45, no.  But in my case, I'm so thankful that I didn't have kids with a loser in my 20s but instead have in my 30s with Mr Perfect :)

Quoting Mittenmommie:

charley31
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM
No...as long as they can take care of a baby. I personally wouldn't want to have kids in my 40s but thats me and I wouldn't judge anyone who does. I do however think that there are girls that are too young to be having babies.  
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Ummm 60, 60, IMO, is deff too old, LOL!  

tammy_lynne
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Well, when your eggs dry up you "can't" have any more. But I wanted to have kids when I'm younger. It's more of a personal preference. I would never judge an older couple for having kids though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)