Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epidural or No Epidural?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 114 Replies

I still have months before I really have to worry about this decision, but I've been really thinking about it lately.

I know there are risks using it.. Like ADHD & ADD I believe. I know it also slows down labor.  Feel free to list more risks for me!

I've heard women think other women are 'cowards' for using the Epidural when it's not medically needed. I've watched videos of women in labor with & without it. I can see the major difference. But do you really feel better about yourself after giving a natural birth than you would using an Epidural? Is one really a 'coward' for not wanting to be in the worst pain of your life when there's an alternative? Or for actually wanting to enjoy the labor with your family and loved ones, rather than being in torturing pain while everyone is wishing you luck?

I've asked my friends and family what they did and why, my close friend told me that after she had her first child naturally she had her second using an Epidural because she never wanted to go through that pain again.

Did you use an Epidural? Why? Why Not?

Your input will be greatly appreciated!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan.Aber
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
No epi and I felt fantastic after birth! I was able to get up right away to shower. It nice being able to feel what your body is doing.
corpswife523
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Were you able to enjoy time with your family while at the hospital or were you in too much pain?

Quoting Megan.Aber:

No epi and I felt fantastic after birth! I was able to get up right away to shower. It nice being able to feel what your body is doing.

Megan.Aber
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
It was just my dh there during labor and it was fine. You have to breathe and know how to get through it.we were in AK so no family was around to visit. I didn't tear either so i was fine after.

Quoting corpswife523:

Were you able to enjoy time with your family while at the hospital or were you in too much pain?

Quoting Megan.Aber:

AmberRose1122
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM
I will be getting an Epi. No question.
corpswife523
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM

How come? Not meaning to be nosey.. Just looking for all perspectives.

Quoting AmberRose1122:

I will be getting an Epi. No question.

KittyTussand
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
First off let me say iv had two births. One with epi one all natural.

Naerly 3 years ago I had my daughter. Was induced and pain was bad so I got epi. And I regreted it pretty quick. I was only 30 min away from a natural birth with her I could of made it. Instead I delt with the feeling like I failed. But on top of that I hated the loss of feeling I wasnt allowed to get up for 5hours!!! I felt loss of control and power. During birth I couldnt feel when my body wanted to push instead doc and nurses yelled when to do it. When she came threw she seemed sleepy and didnt latch as soon as I would of liked. I finnaly got feeling and they let me up about 5 hours leter but I was unsteady and had bad back pain for a while. I also tour and needed many stitches.

My son was born 2 months ago all natural. It was painful but I worked threw it. When it came time to push I could feel when my body wanted to push I could cnange position I pushed when my body toled me and relaxed when I needed. Labor was 11 hours pushing was18 min. He came out awake and alert and wanted tolatch right away. I was able to get up and move and enjoy my babe. I had no tears. I actually had a high feeling I was powerfull almost a euforia. It was wounderful.

If we were having more id never have a epi again
corpswife523
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM

So the Epi affects the baby in multiple ways. Hmm, thank you for your input!

Quoting KittyTussand:

First off let me say iv had two births. One with epi one all natural.

Naerly 3 years ago I had my daughter. Was induced and pain was bad so I got epi. And I regreted it pretty quick. I was only 30 min away from a natural birth with her I could of made it. Instead I delt with the feeling like I failed. But on top of that I hated the loss of feeling I wasnt allowed to get up for 5hours!!! I felt loss of control and power. During birth I couldnt feel when my body wanted to push instead doc and nurses yelled when to do it. When she came threw she seemed sleepy and didnt latch as soon as I would of liked. I finnaly got feeling and they let me up about 5 hours leter but I was unsteady and had bad back pain for a while. I also tour and needed many stitches.

My son was born 2 months ago all natural. It was painful but I worked threw it. When it came time to push I could feel when my body wanted to push I could cnange position I pushed when my body toled me and relaxed when I needed. Labor was 11 hours pushing was18 min. He came out awake and alert and wanted tolatch right away. I was able to get up and move and enjoy my babe. I had no tears. I actually had a high feeling I was powerfull almost a euforia. It was wounderful.

If we were having more id never have a epi again

Devious103102
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Honestly, it's a personaly choice, I've done both.

DD1 I didn't WANT an epi (nor did I feel I needed it pain wise) but at the end of the day it became medically needed (long story) and I was, basically, forced into one (they didn't tell me why I needed it till after I had it).

DD2-I was so exhausted from 20hrs of contractions at home, not eating, not really getting any rest, etc, so I asked for it to help me sleep.

DD3 & 4 I went without it and, for ME, it was a much better experience. 

corpswife523
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Thanks! I probably won't REALLY be able to decide until I start going through labor.. in January! Lol

Quoting Devious103102:

Honestly, it's a personaly choice, I've done both.

DD1 I didn't WANT an epi (nor did I feel I needed it pain wise) but at the end of the day it became medically needed (long story) and I was, basically, forced into one (they didn't tell me why I needed it till after I had it).

DD2-I was so exhausted from 20hrs of contractions at home, not eating, not really getting any rest, etc, so I asked for it to help me sleep.

DD3 & 4 I went without it and, for ME, it was a much better experience. 

jlee38340
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM
ive had an epi with all three. my last baby the epi did not work and i felt everything. i will be having an epi again and pray it works this time. labor was very intense and the epi allowed me to be more relaxed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured