Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online Lamaze or Bradley or other Natural child birth classes

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hello!  I'm due the end of October and we have been waiting to get into a Lamaze class. The June class was full when we got here and the July class... my husband had a work conference (that of course got cancelled). I was assured they'd have one in August... but now they're saying the next one is.... NOVEMBER! call me crazy, but there's 3 months of delivering moms in there. I've looked everywhere in town/county for another instructor and have found nothing. No Bradley classes anywhere near here either. So all I have is childbirth classes.... not a whole lot of good if I'm going natural. 

SOOOOO does anyone know of any online courses/classes that are good? I've been told birth boot camp is a good one, I know they're based in TEXAS and have in person classes but also online. Just trying to get some other ideas. I refuse to be unprepared and wind up with pitocin and a c section. :)

Thanks ladies!

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I never took a class and just had a homebirth. I read books. My favorite was Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth.
mrssummerlin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM

You could maybe check YouTube for it??

honestly though having been through it before I can tell you this, once your in labour your going to do whatever pops into your head and seems right for you. The best tool you could use is some relaxing music and just tune out the world, literally. Trust your body and just release yourself to the pain. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
pregnancy week by week
mamav2215
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Honestly... I think I want the class more for my husbands sake. He's on board with natural and wants it too... but he's not really taking the initiative to learn anything. And I want him to be an active support system. 

And I do actually have that book on it's way to me! 

mamav2215
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM

ALSO.... we're not having a home birth. it creeps me out because we're renting and have 3 dogs (just moved in) so I just want to be as prepared as possible to tell my doctor to stick it when he thinks it's time for him to take a nap and wants to give me a c section :)

Allisonc7910
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Yeah, your husband needs to learn how to put pressure on the small of your back. That helped me so much. The nurses also know how to help with pain.

I would try the hospital your birthing at. They will most likely offer online classes.
mamav2215
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Oh they have classes... they don't have the one I want until after my due date. 

Quoting Allisonc7910:

Yeah, your husband needs to learn how to put pressure on the small of your back. That helped me so much. The nurses also know how to help with pain.

I would try the hospital your birthing at. They will most likely offer online classes.

KittyTussand
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM

i never took a class. I read books watch some youtube videos talked to my midwives.  I prepared my self with what relaxs me.  I also read Ina Mays book pp mentnioned (love that book). 

I had a 11 hour natural birth while my hubby took naps and my midwife slept in the other room. Contractiosn were 1 minute long every other minute.  I knew that i had to keep relaxed and calm and open.  So i put on music that relaxed me the most and i sang. 

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:36 AM
I think there are hypnobirthing classes online, but they're expensive. I am planning to watch lots of videos... If you search birth classes online you will find lots of free stuff. I haven't started watching yet, so I'm not sure on quality.
lillucky8
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM
I didnt take any type of classes, heres a bump for ya :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CelestialSong
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I just started the Hypnobabies home study program :) It's actually cheaper than any of the classes I've seen available around here, and there seems to be a lot of good information and tips for partners. But I just started it literally yesterday so I can't really comment too much.

If you don't feel like you need a class but mostly want something for your husband, you might want to try picking up the book Husband Coached Childbirth, which is part of the Bradley method. I've heard it's good for partners to read even if you're not taking Bradley classes.

Also, I've never heard anything positive about Lamaze at all, so I think you probably got handed a favor by not being able to take it ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured