Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

sleep issues

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi.  I'm new here and not currently pregnant but researching sleep and pregnancy issues.  Do any of you have concerns about your own sleep (or lack of) that you would share with me?  This is my homework in a course on maternity and infant sleep.  My questions for you is what are your sleep issues and what have you tried to relieve them so far?  Thanks, I appreciate your help on this as I find it very interesting stuff.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kstorm234
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I'm 14 weeks pregnant and sleep is becoming difficult where my uterus is becoming larger and pushing out more. Its almost impossible to find a comfortable position.
HHx5
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I was sleepy all the time in my 1st and 2nd trimesters. I took naps every day when possible. I'm 37 wks tomorrow and had some issues with restless legs a month ago and unexplainable itching that kept me awake. That subsided, then my brain doesn't want to shut off at bedtime. Now my hips and back are so soar, it's so hard to sleep. Lying on your back isn't recommended and sleeping in a semi-propped up position hurts my tailbone. Sleeping on my side is my usual position but now my hips are so painful.

I've found that lack of sleep, while it may make me cranky and slower in the morning, really doesn't affect my overall function during the day this late in the pregnancy. It's like my body is getting ready for those sleepless nights ahead with a newborn.
Larsbug
by Laura on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I've always had issues with sleep and pregnancy didn't help any with aches and pains. I usually had to lay there and try to get tired enough to get a couple hours or take something to help me sleep

sleeplover
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Thanks so much for your reply and congratulations!.  Comfy position is one of the problems I've heard of a lot.  What have you tried so far?  Is this your first pregnancy?

sleeplover
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Thanks for your reply.  So glad you were able to nap in your 1st two trimesters.  And that restless legs as well as itching subsided for you!   Meditation and progressive relaxation are two things I would rec for anybody.  Hope you have a great time with your baby and you've done great so far!  Thanks again

sleeplover
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Your baby looks beautiful!  Thanks so much for your reply.  Sleep is such an interesting subject to me.  Two hours is a long time to lay awake!  Did you try counting backwards from 500?  I know it sounds ridiculously silly but it actually works for me beause my head get so crowded with thoughts and worries that I can't wind down enough to let myself sleep.  Have a great Mommy day and thanks again!

NatyRod
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I'm almost 22 wks with baby #1.. Sleeping has become increasingly uncomfortable. I toss and turn about 5 times a nite. I sleep on my left and switch to my right when I get unconfortable but some mornings I wake up facing up, lol. It's a nightly battle. A pillow in between my knees helps tremendously. :)
sleeplover
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Did you sleep well before your pregnancy?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)