Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Breastfeeding game plan

Posted by   + Show Post
Does breastfeeding makes you hungry or extra tired?
What was your game plan when it comes to breastfeding baby? For example:
When baby is awake and hungry=breastfeed
When baby is asleep=pump milk?
When baby is awake but not hungry=pump milk?
At what time did you rest?
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this
It made me hungry when my supply was still adjusting, but mostly it made me very very thirsty and that persisted until he started to wean. The first few weeks the change in serotonin(?) levels when nursing would also make me sleepy... Like I'd be nice and awake, then start nursing and is be unable to keep my eyes open. I didn't pump at all because I had no reason to. When I started noticing a pattern in when he slept, I started going to sleep at that time too. The only time I didn't was for naps, because I had to stay awake for my older kiddo. My only plan this time is to do it lol. I know I can do it, so I will be even if I have issues with it initially.
KPJ
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:39 AM
YOU LADIES ARE WONDERFUL! THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES...IT HAS BEEN SO HELPFUL TO ME...I AM DETERMINED TO MAKE BREASTFEEDING WORK THIS TIME AROUND AND SINCE THIS WILL BE MY LAST BABY. I AM VERY HAPPY I MADE THIS POST.. I HAVE LEARNED A LOT FROM ALL OF YOU. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
MamaDee83
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this

When the baby wakes up, offer your breast. When the baby cries, offer your breast. When the baby seems fussy, offer your breast. Basically, boobs, boobs, boobs!

Sleep when the baby sleeps, if you can. I have always coslept, so resting at night was not a huge problem Cosleeping is NOT for everyone, however, so I can't just blindly recommend it. All I can tell you is that it has worked really well for me with both kids :)

NEVER skip a feeding time!! You should basically be feeding your baby every 2 - 3 hours for the first couple of months. This means, unfortunately, that if your baby sleeps for 3+ hours, you need to wake up and pump that milk, Mama! Ideally, you should be pumping/feeding every 3 hours.

I didn't find that I was any more hungry than usual when I was breastfeeding - you need to make sure you are eating normally, as you will be using up to 500 extra calories every day just to produce the milk for your baby (lots of moms just eat their normal diet, assuming it is healthy and not excessive to begin with and lose a lot of weight while breastfeeding!) and you need to make sure that you drink enough water/fluids!

Monkeymama930
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I drank a ton! That's what my bf consoler advised, she suggested to add at least 3 bottles of water to my normal amount.

I did get hungry so I got lots of healthy foods.

I pumped but I was trying to stock up.

twogirl91
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I only nursed when my baby was hungry I didn't pump otherwise. But in the first few months I felt starving and exhausted all the time, it does get better. I would fall asleep nursing sometimes, that's why we chose to co-sleep made getting rest a heck of a lot easier. 

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I eat way more than usual while nursing and it does make me very tired.  I think part of feeling so tired during a nursing session is because I'm already tired but sitting still doesn't help! lol

I nursed her whenever she wanted and pumped here and there.  I usually pumped if she skipped one of her usual feedings, just to keep my body producing the same amount.

I didn't get much rest time, I also have a 5yr old and have kept two of my nephews during the day most of the summer so no rest here till I get the girls to bed.

Dragon.Momma86
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I second tjis, except it did maoe me super hungry at first tho I couldn't nurse and eat at the se time. So I would just eat afterword.

Quoting Randi02:

It doesn't make me hungry or tired.

I breastfeed on demand. No bottle, no pumping, no schedules - I feed my babie when they want to eat. That is the best way to build your supply - especially during the first few weeks and any growth spurts- because they nurse constantly.

I rest at night, and if I'm able to nap when the baby does. This is my 4th baby, so it gets harder to have a nap during the day lol

babyfever2011
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

I EBF my 5week old DS. At first I was terrified to NIP w/o a blanket. I struggled w/ the blanket, & my DS became more & more frustrated which had him crying at the top of his lungs! THAT caused more attention! I finally just gave up on the blanket & i just feed him w/o one. Now ppl who happen to notice just smile at me & keep it moving. And my DS is much happier! Faster milk service, no sweating from hiding under a blanket . :)
Mom2jngnc
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I nursed on demand. 
In the beginning I could feel myself doze off at the drop of a hat.
I did force myself to drink more (I am not a big water drinker, although if I had known about cucumber water in 07, I probably would have been better).
I wasn't hungrier than normal.  

I did some pumping, only because I knew I had a night out when he was 4 months old. I wasn't going to want to be running up to our hotel room all night (he was with a sitter). Sometime I pumped both, other times I nursed him on one side only and pumped the opposite. 

I did have to leave him with formula at my Moms. My SIL ran into a medical emergency, and my DH and I dashed off. He was just over 2 months. We discovered that milk based was not his BFF. 

Edit I rested when I could. My kids were 12, 8, and 5. If my niece was over (she now lives with me) she's a year older, so there was no rest with her. 

wife-4-life
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what I did with my older 2 girls and am currently doing with my 5-1/2mon old. It works great for us and is what is best for my family. My kids were sleeping thru the night by 3months old, sometimes sooner.

And yes BF made me both hungry and thirsty. I was more hungry with nursing than while pregnant.

Quoting kelly617:

I noticed I was really thirsty when breastfeeding...not so much extra hungry but thirsty ALL the time

My game plan is to mix in "sleep training" with breastfeeding...I've been reading up and apparently with my first son I set myself up for failure with the way I fed/played/put him to sleep
During the day I'm gonna wake him up every 2hrs. Feed him first, THEN play with him so he doesnt' associate full tummy with going to bed (because then he'll only sleep after eating) then change him and then let him fall back into a nap for 2hrs
then at night I won't wake him up and supposedly that will set his lil internal clock so he'll know when to sleep
Hopefully it'll work!

I made the mistake with my first that I would let him fall asleep right after a nursing or bottle and even now at 20 months he still needs a bottle to fall asleep...it sucks

OH and as soon as baby is done nursing I'm going to pump to try and promote as much milk as possible...I had a problem with low supply as soon as I went back to work last time so I'd rather deal with oversupply than not enough

GOOD LUCK!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)