Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding game plan

Posted by   + Show Post
Does breastfeeding makes you hungry or extra tired?
What was your game plan when it comes to breastfeding baby? For example:
When baby is awake and hungry=breastfeed
When baby is asleep=pump milk?
When baby is awake but not hungry=pump milk?
At what time did you rest?
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Replies (41-50):
LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

No exact plan. I know I'm going to and try my damnedest this time. I also know I can refuse formula at the hospital this time while my milk comes in and I'm glad to know that bc they are all about bfing but then they made you feel like you had to give formula when your milk didn't immediately come in. Now I know that and I will refuse formula.

Dd was early 36.5 weeks so she had issues latching and it was easier to pump and feed but I feel more determined this time around. Pumping can be very tiring and exhausting bc you pump and still have to feed baby. I've always gone by the whole you rest when baby rests and plan on doing that as much as possible.

I am going to try to pump and sell my bm though so I do see pumping in my future but not for my baby. I'll feed baby and then pump afterwards to try to increase my milk supply. I'm sure it will be tiring in the beginning but really it's tiring either way.

mrs.ramirez
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan on feeding on demand but based on a set interval.

I want to try to pump after feedings in the beginning to get my supply up and start a stash. I'll only pump when convenient.

ReeseStrickland
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I fed on demand.

I waited a couple weeks to pump and generally did it an hour after feedings.

JamieBue38
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I didn't know this was your 2nd :) but now you know what to expect! I didn't know it was going to be painful either! It literally felt like bricks hanging off my chest and nothing was coming out!!! Pumping helped though, that's how I got my colostrum out and then flow became more natural, I wasn't as engorged and it was easier for my DD to latch onto my nipple (It was flat because I was so engorged lol).

I have 2 friends where one gave up because it hurt so much, and the other gave up because her DS was bottle fed the first couple weeks and wouldn't latch, but my DD latched at almost 3 weeks so it is possible :) Good luck and congratulations!!! :) :) :)

Quoting KPJ:

Thank you so much... It is soooo hard at the beginning and painful!! Oh my lord nobody told me anything about that when I was trying to breastfeed my daughter.... She didn't do good with the latching which is one of the several reasons it didn't work out...
But now I'm having my second baby and my last baby... I will NOT give up no matter what... I pray to God he is more patient than his sister and good at latching...

Lululmt81
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I breastfeed on demand. If she falls asleep before getting to the other side I pump the unused side.
For the record I am starving!!!!!!!!! Losing weight still but wanna eat everything not nailed down!
momeofasweete1
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

you ALWAYS sleep when baby sleeps, every dr will tell you that when you breastfeed.. you sleep when the baby sleeps.. even if it's for twenty minutes twice a day...

AmosFarkle
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I fed him when he acted hungry (crying, and you can usually tell a hungry cry from a bored, overstimulated, or wet diaper cry).  I could never pump more than about 4 oz. at a time, so I was lucky I was a SAHM.  I don't think I was any hungrier than usual - certainly not as hungry as I was when I was preggo. Rest?  HAH!  Like, never?  Seriously, I learned to lie down with him and as he fell asleep nursing I did some too.

SMTCMMoore
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM
It makes me starving!!!! But not extra sleepy.
cstargarner
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM
I fell asleep feeding my son at the hospital so you will be tired but I think its more having a baby than the breast feeding that wipes you out. My plan was to feed every 4 hrs or as he was hungry, and that was it. He ended up with latch issues and my plans changed so I ended up pumping for 14 + months which was so hard being tied to the house for so long since I was always pumping!! I wish I had been more determined to get his latch right again. At least I know for next time how much easier straight feeding would be. Keep baby with you as much as possible and tell drs and nurses NO bottles or pacifiers every chance you get. I did and they still have mine both when he was away from me which is what messed him up with latching so bad.
eckielady
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I nursed on demand (And still do). I never woke her up to feed her but if she had slept for way too long I may have tried. I wanted my supply to regulate to HER schedule....not mine. Breastfeeding makes me feel like I'm STARVING. It absolutely has not helped me lose weight. 

My game plan was basically this........

1. Survive today.

2. Survive tomorrow.

3. Make it to 6 weeks.

Then it was make it to 2 months.

Then 6 months.

Here we are at 18 months still going strong.

My BIGGEST rule that I made for myself.......... Never make a decision on a bad day. EVER!!! The two month growth spurt is pure hell. On the bad days I wanted to give up. On the good days I thought "I can go one more day". It's what has made us successful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured