Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Breastfeeding game plan

Posted by   + Show Post
Does breastfeeding makes you hungry or extra tired?
What was your game plan when it comes to breastfeding baby? For example:
When baby is awake and hungry=breastfeed
When baby is asleep=pump milk?
When baby is awake but not hungry=pump milk?
At what time did you rest?
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Replies (71-77):
BethRae
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Breastfeeding does make me hungry and a lil drowsy at times. I feed on demand. I rest when my kids allow lol
ajslight
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I breastfeed on demand, when baby is hungry I nurse.  I pump after every feeding (except at night, i want my sleep) to stock up on milk for when I'm at work.  At first, it didn't make me hungry, but it made me really thirsty.  I napped when baby napped, but with my secound, I would napped when my children were down for their naps.    From the day I came home from the hospital, I'd pump after every feeding, to build my milk supply and keep it plentyful!

KnikkaP
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I pump on one side and feed on the other- it boosts supply and then I'm not constantly hooked onto baby/pump... but if she's awake and wants to nurse we nurse... thats the game plan :-)

2divasmom2019
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Makes me thirsty right after, and hungry in general. I don't usually pump as I only breastfeed. I will pump a bit if she hasn't ate in a while to have some for when I am away.
IARC
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

There is said to be a hormone that is released when a woman "lets down" while breastfeeding, which can make her sleepy (this is also why people have cautioned breastfeeding moms about falling asleep while breastfeeding and suffocating the baby (truthfully, I didn't ever really worry about this, and I never felt more tired while breastfeeding than I did any other time, I don't think it's the case for everyone)). In the very beginning I would breastfeed my son whether he was awake or sleeping (he was pretty little when he was born and I had to wake him every 3 hours throughout the night to feed him.....which was harder than one would think - sleepy babies are NOT easily fed!). After a few months, I turned to pumping exclusively because I hated breastfeeding and because I was working and going to college full time and he was sleeping through the night. I won't be having any more children, but if I did, I think I would do the same. It worked for us. You just need to find what works for you and your baby. I know a lot of moms who feed on demand and their bodies produced only what was needed for their baby. They didn't have to wake up every 3 hours throughout the night to pump. I pumped every 3 hours throughout the day and night and I was a very high producer (probably because of it). I probably could have figured out a way to go through the night without pumping (I tried and failed a couple of times and gave in to just pumping every 3 hours). It was tiresome having to wake up every 3 hours to pump and then store and then clean, and when my son was being fed at the same time it doubled that time that I was awake.

Chastity12
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
It was hard on me. I have a 19 month old, a 7 month old and another on the way. But don't get discouraged. I had to pump alot because my milk supply was low. So sadly I could only do it til he was 3 weeks
KPJ
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Same thing happened to me... I was only able to do it for 3 weeks...I had low milk supply and my daughter was having trouble latching.

Quoting Chastity12:

It was hard on me. I have a 19 month old, a 7 month old and another on the way. But don't get discouraged. I had to pump alot because my milk supply was low. So sadly I could only do it til he was 3 weeks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)