Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

DTap vaccine during pregnancy?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 41 Replies
So my obgyn brought up the DTap vaccine at my last appt. She handed me the paperwork for me to go over and said she would be willing to answer any questions I may have. Well with my other 2 pregnancies this was never brought up, so of course that was one of my first questions, to which she gave me a pretty decent answer. My question to you guys is if you have been asked to get this vaccine? The pamphlet said it was advised to get during each pregnancy to protect baby against pertussis. Should I go ahead and get it? Has pertussis become that common again?
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marihla
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I did it during my pregnancy. It's not a live vaccine and they do it after 20 weeks (I believe), and they've been doing it recently because of the recent outbreaks. The baby will be born with basically no immune system so if you contract pertussis it could be a death sentence for your lo.

MichelleH86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Im not concerned about getting it.im not against vaccinating. im def going to have the vaccine done next appt. I was shocked that it had become so common again. She told me it has become so common again bc not a lot of people are vaccinating anymore

Quoting marihla:

I did it during my pregnancy. It's not a live vaccine and they do it after 20 weeks (I believe), and they've been doing it recently because of the recent outbreaks. The baby will be born with basically no immune system so if you contract pertussis it could be a death sentence for your lo.

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I personally wouldn't ever get any vaccines while pregnant! Too risky

tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
That's what they try to get you to believe.... But actually more people than ever are vaccinated for it. Numbers are slightly lower among children, but WAY higher among adults.

Quoting MichelleH86:

Im not concerned about getting it.im not against vaccinating. im def going to have the vaccine done next appt. I was shocked that it had become so common again. She told me it has become so common again bc not a lot of people are vaccinating anymore

Quoting marihla:

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM
They have had 2 outbreaks at my son's school so I won't get it while I'm pregnant but I'm hoping to get it there in the hospital when I deliver.
MichelleH86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Well my oldest is starting preschool.. she is vaccinated , that just concerns me with all the stuff she could possibly start bringing home

Quoting DACIA79:

They have had 2 outbreaks at my son's school so I won't get it while I'm pregnant but I'm hoping to get it there in the hospital when I deliver.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Quoting MichelleH86:

I get the flu shot every year but it makes me sick so I'm not getting anything during pregnancy. I get the flu shot because my asthma symptoms seem to be worst without it but nothing until Connor is born.
SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM

agreed

Quoting NoraDun:

I personally wouldn't ever get any vaccines while pregnant! Too risky

Mama to five beautiful girls- Piper(12), Paris(10), Prue(8), Priya(5)&Kahlan(2) and two angel babies that were too precious for earth, Angel('09) and Evenstar('12)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

MichelleH86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Thanks guys! I really do like to hear everyones perspectives about things :)
kmugs
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Con:  Vaccines have not been tested on pregnant women, and they are listed as Class C drugs.  

Pro:  the vaccine might cross the placenta and give your baby some protection before they get immunised.

The Pertussis Vaccine has a fairly lousy effectiveness rate, and the protection it gives wears off fairly quickly.  That is why pertussis is climbing - it has almost nothing to do with non-vaxxers.  Are things like Diphtheria and mumps rising?  Not very much.  If non-vaxxing was the reason for pertussis climb, one would expect other vaccinatable diseases to be climbing as well.  But they are not.

Pertussis is more common in some areas than others and it is seasonal.  If you are waffling on the vaccine in pregnancy, look up how common it is in your area when your baby is to be born.

I cannot post link (%$# computer browser) but if you type in CDC pertussis outbreaks and "vaccines class c drugs"  you should get a bunch of hits.

Whether you vaccinate or not, please keep your baby away from anyone with a cough, and consider staying out of crowded spaces.  Most adults are not up to date on their boosters and the vaccine is pretty lousy, anyways.  Pertussis is endemic, people often think they have a "bad cough" when really they have pertussis, and pertussis is dangerous in infants.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)