Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Natural birth versus non natural

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM
  • 66 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was just wondering what the side affects of getting the epudrial to help with pain during labor were. And I know the giving birth naturally is the best for the baby, but just wondering what other mom's thoughts and opinions were.

I am 20 years old and 24 weeks pregnant with my first baby girl, and a little scared about giving  birth and all that entails. So any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you!

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:06 AM
one is that it can stall or slow progress
so then they push pitocin, which make contractions much harder, stronger and closer and cause baby to be distressed

hence a csection

this doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it's the rule rather than the exception
rfhsure
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I haven't gotten an epidural, so I can't give my experience on that. I would recommend a birthing class though, they will go over all of that with you.

I gave birth to my first son at 20 as well, and went unmedicated. You can do it! If it's what you want to do, be confident in yourself and your power to give birth and don't consider the epidural an option. Unmedicated birth is a really rewarding experience but it's also something you have to make a commitment. Labor hurts no matter what, medicated or not. However you choose to do it, you'll be fine and you'll get a beautiful baby at the end of it, so do whatever you're most comfortable with. I just hate to see women scared out of the birthing experience they want because they're worried about the pain. We all go through it, we all make it out to the other side. You can do it momma!

I would recommend if you go natural to hire a doula, or go over comfort techniques/breathing with whoever will be assisting you in the labor rorom.

gsdogsrule
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I never had an epidural and feel it wasn't necessary. I like that I was an active participant in every single moment of bringing my babies into the world. I also know that I am a very stoic person with a high pain threshold. I also was so careful throughout my pregnancies not to subject my babies to drugs or alcohol or other toxic chemicals and I thought it kind of strange to do so during the birth process - I just never felt right about it and had to be forceful with my delivery room nurse when I had my first son. I had my 2nd at a different hospital where they rarely use epidurals, and he came rushing out in about 45 minutes, with no labour, so it was a moot point. I know many women will defend their position, but I'm proud of myself and had fabulous experiences having my babies, and really, that's about as good as it gets.

sugarcrisp
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM

This.

And with what I went through with my son, most likely related to this, I'm going all natural this time.

He was stillborn and we got lucky. I could have easily left that hospital without a living baby.

Quoting comptonkids:

so then they push pitocin, which make contractions much harder, stronger and closer and cause baby to be distressed

hence a csection

Gingerbell.RN
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:10 AM
4 moms liked this
I do not agree at all.

I feel that if a doctor waits until the patient is a GOOD 4 cm and actively in labor that an epidural does not slow things down.

I have seen on multiple accounts where a mom is actually more relaxed afterwards and progresses more quickly. Much more often than it slowing a labor down.

Also, pitocin does not always distress baby. Nurses have a strict policy about pitocin administration in order to avoid such complications.

Quoting comptonkids:

hence a csection

era75atl
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:34 AM

I cant say that having an epidural had any adverse effect on my children but I have pain occasionally in the spot where they actually place the needle in my back. It may seem crazy but I honestly still feel it sometimes.

michelalove
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:39 AM
I had an epidural and I had/have no adverse side effects (: I thought it was going too be horrible but it wasn't at all, I was in so much pain the needle and everything didn't even phase me.
hopeandlove17
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 6:50 AM
It all depends I had a great experience without an epi actually my nurses were shocked because at 8-9 centimeters dialated laughing and making jokes they had to tell me I was getting contractions and to push it was crazy and I had to get pitosin at 9 cm to dialate that last bit because after taking a hot shower things staled a little do not let them give you pitosin it causes way to many issues
WillsMOM72
by Stephanie on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM
I had an epidural and it didn't slow labor down and I had no side effects.
mamav2215
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I'm sure this was pretty much covered by everyone but...

you can have complications from the needle going into your spine... they're not that common, but they happen. Usually in the form of a spinal headache and they CAN, not usually, be semi permenant. Although; I really think this is quite rare. My sister got the headache for about a week; but other than her I don't know personally know anyone who did. 

it can seriously slow your progress which then has doctors forcing pitocin on you, and pitocin makes contractions worse, not just closer together to progress labor, a lot of mom's say they still feel them with the epidural if they've had pitocin. Pitocin is also not great for the baby. 

AND a lot of mom with epi's can't really feel when to push or don't really know if they're pushing, so then this also leads to a c section. 

Of course there's TONS of mom's who had an epi and everything was fine; but is really extremely common to wind up with a c section. 

AND... although you had someone comment that has "RN" in her name saying that these thigns don't happen... I really disagree with her. I woud recommend you do as much research as you possible can on the topic. Read stuff from midwives, read stuff from OB's (so you get both views), read birthing stories on blogs online. 

Really educate yourself on what your options are during birth. You'd be amazed how much extra crap they do to you that is unneccesary. As long as your not high risk, there is little need for more of the medical stuff. I have gotten my doctor to aggree to intermittent fetal monitoring (unless a complication arises from now until then) and no iv fluids (with an iv in my arm in case of emergency, but it won't be hooked up to machines)... this is so I can get up and wlak around/move around/switch positions that are more conducive to labor (laying on your back is one of the worst positions) Also... when you have an epi... you can't get out of bed at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)