Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Do you believe you can feel dilation?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM
  • 19 Replies

I swear my child is attempting to reach a hand through my cervix LOL. I know that sounds horrible HAHA, it feels about as bad. But I swear that is what it feels like. I have really just started having this sensation this week, and I assume its from baby pressing against my cervix and my cervix beginning to thin and dilate. From past pregnancies I connect that feeling with my starting to dilate! I will be interested to see if they notice a change at my u/s!

Anyone else have these cervical pains? Doesn't it make you want to scream and laugh at the same time LOL?

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM
With my last (#3) I actually did have cervical pain. I had a scheduled c-section so it didn't matter but I knew I was dilating the morning of my c-section when I lost a couple chunks of mucus plug. That and braxton hicks were all firsts that pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Bump
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM

With all mine I would get a sharp pain up by the cervix. Because that is where I could say I felt the sharp pain. My first and second I was checked to make sure that I was just dilating and if not then we they would have had me do some other tests. My second I wish I had never said anything to my Dr. Because I knew what it was since it was the same as with my first. But she just had to check. With my third I told my midwife and she said if it ever feels different to let her know and we will talk and decide what to do from that.

cruelella2to
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM

i thought the same thing. wk 32 i went into pre term so when i felt like he was falling out or the sharp pain  i thought for sure i was dilating. he moved up and out of position at wk 37 (hed been in position since 31) and now im only 1cm and thick. so i have NO clue what the hell i was feeling besides a butt load of pain and discomfort.

kelly617
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I think so
the last few weeks I will get a sudden pinching kind of stabbing pain....its so fast that I have time to say "OW" and then its over
I'm guessing thats probably what it is?

Koux
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM

With both previous pregnancies, I've dilated really early. I'll walk around at 2 or 3 for about a month. I got to a 5 with my last one at 39 weeks and the doc finally made me go into the hospital. :) I never really feel the contractions that cause the dilation (or at least, they're not painful), but there is definitely more swelling/discomfort "down there" during those last 3-4 weeks. I think it's more of a gradual change, I'm not sure if you can feel it as its happening, but you can definitely feel a difference when your cervix starts to change.

pregnancy week by week

GwenMB
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Aren't you like 2 months from delivery?  I hope you aren't having your cervix thin & dilate yet.  I know we can walk around a little dilated for a very long time, but it could make everyone nervous (and potentially throw a wrench in your birth plans).

My aunt has said she felt her cervix dilating while she was in labor.

cjmarty
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I felt that way when my son dropped (about 2 months before he was due, and 1 month before he was born). I would go on a walk and felt as though I needed to hold my belly up or he would fall right out from between my legs! :P It was horrifying. :P

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM

4 babies and I've never felt dilation.  I've seen dilation through my discharge though.  

Drienne13
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I'm now at 39 weeks. I feel many sensations... I couldn't tell you which could be the cervix dilating.

Hell, I couldn't tell you what many of the sensations are. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)