Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

*Pic Swelling-Hurts to the touch

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM
  • 31 Replies

My feet have been pretty much permanently swollen this past week.  I've had swelling off and on for some time but being that I am 37 weeks tomorrow, I'm not surprised that they are swollen all the time.  I've noticed that my right foot is always more swollen than my left.  Now my skin hurts to the touch, particularly on my right foot.  Just the water hitting my right foot in the shower hurt.  It feels like my feet are bruised.  The pain in my left foot is very minimal, almost don't feel it, but my right is super sensitive to touch.

My sister had mentioned maybe I wasn't getting enough salt and I thought that was crazy.  Last night while looking up relief from swelling I did read not to skimp on salt and that during pregnancy you should get 70g+ a day.  When I track my food, sodium is not one of the things I really pay attention to.  I went back and looked through what I had eaten and I'd consumed a whopping 3g of sodium!

Could this problem be from my lack of sodium  or could it be something else?  Or is this totally normal?  I see my ob on Tuesday.  

Also...when I saw my ob earlier this week I had gained 4lbs within the past week.  I admitted I had been somewhat ravenous but 4lbs is still a lot and she asked if I'd had any swelling.  I told her YES and she just said that water weight does count and that my bp looks fine.  However, I got to thinking the other day, I think my bp is usually lower than the norm and all throughout my pregnancy it's more about average, not low.

They've been a little more swollen than this as of late.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamav2215
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I'm not sure about the salt thing. Are you increasing your water consumption with the swelling? It seems counterinutitive. But drink MORE water when you're retaining water. It actually helps. You could try icing your foot that is so painful, the ice will help with the pain some and it will knock out any extra blood flow to your foot. which would decrease swelling. 

I really think increasing salt would icrease your bloating... salt makes you retain water, which you're clearly doing. BUT I could be assuming wrong. 

elevate your feet, especially the one that is so painful above your heart level. and don't be on them more than you need to be. 

threat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM
It could be a factor from many things, a low salt intake could be one. Are you on your feet a lot? If so try to prop them up as much as possible and I know it hurts but massages really do help reduce some swelling.
katherine.0706
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Drink more water and up your sodium intake! Maybe ask about some water pills at your next visit
Gabrielle1982
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I thought the same thing about salt but this is what I read in lamens terms:

Essentially what this means is that when you don’t have enough protein and salt in your blood, the water in your bloodstream leaks out into the surrounding tissues. Therefore, this kind of normal swelling can be remedied by upping your intake of protein and salt.

I have definitely increased my water intake this week, carrying my giant smart water bottle wherever I go.  I will definitely try icing.  That sounds like it would feel really good.

Quoting mamav2215:

I'm not sure about the salt thing. Are you increasing your water consumption with the swelling? It seems counterinutitive. But drink MORE water when you're retaining water. It actually helps. You could try icing your foot that is so painful, the ice will help with the pain some and it will knock out any extra blood flow to your foot. which would decrease swelling. 

I really think increasing salt would icrease your bloating... salt makes you retain water, which you're clearly doing. BUT I could be assuming wrong. 

elevate your feet, especially the one that is so painful above your heart level. and don't be on them more than you need to be. 

CafeMom Tickers
Gabrielle1982
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I have the opposite problem.  I work at a desk 9 hours a day and my total driv time to work and back is an hour and a half.  I do keep a box under my desk to prop my feet on and I do try to get up and walk around.  I have started massaging my own feet and I find that it feels really good to rub my calves too.

Quoting threat:

It could be a factor from many things, a low salt intake could be one. Are you on your feet a lot? If so try to prop them up as much as possible and I know it hurts but massages really do help reduce some swelling.

CafeMom Tickers
mamav2215
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM

this might be your biggest problem. fluid retention gets worse in lower extremeties when you are in a sitting position for too long. I don't know what your office is like (personality wise and space) but I fell rollerblading before work one day and my knee was the size of a cantaloupe. I was able to set my leg on the tower of my computer and ice my knee at my desk. Could you try and do that (switch your legs back and forth) so they're up higher/knee not bent?

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

I have the opposite problem.  I work at a desk 9 hours a day and my total driv time to work and back is an hour and a half.  I do keep a box under my desk to prop my feet on and I do try to get up and walk around.  I have started massaging my own feet and I find that it feels really good to rub my calves too.

Quoting threat:

threat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh wow. I don't know then.... talk to your ob again and explain that its just too much pain and ask them for ideas of how to reduce some swelling. Hopefully you find some relief soon.

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

Quoting threat:

Gabrielle1982
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My office would be totally fine with that.  I would just need to find a way to fit something taller under my desk.  My desk is in an L shape and I'm kind of in a corner with the supply cabinet.  :P  If my desk "L'd" in the opposit direction I think I'd be fine for space to fit something off to the side but it doesn't.  Maybe I will just look for a taller box.

Quoting mamav2215:

this might be your biggest problem. fluid retention gets worse in lower extremeties when you are in a sitting position for too long. I don't know what your office is like (personality wise and space) but I fell rollerblading before work one day and my knee was the size of a cantaloupe. I was able to set my leg on the tower of my computer and ice my knee at my desk. Could you try and do that (switch your legs back and forth) so they're up higher/knee not bent?

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

Quoting threat:

CafeMom Tickers
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

If it's painful to the touch you deff need to talk to them about that because that's not normal/good. 

mrs.ramirez
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Uh...it's time to see the Dr. 

That is WAYYYY too much swelling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)