Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Adoption Rant

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM
  • 16 Replies
So a friend of mine and her husband have been trying to have a baby for the last year and a half or so. They have gotten pregnant 3x and each time she goes in for the 9-10 week appointment there is no heartbeat, and she has to sit and wait to miscarry. They now, after the 3rd time, are begining testing to see what is wrong. So they had decided to adopt. Here is my rant.... Not one adoption agency will work with them because they are "too young". He is an 26 year old Active Duty Marine and she is a cosmetoligist in a salon in their town, they both make good money and are more than capable to provide for a child. She obviously has some health issues that are preventing her from having her own... Thats bs, I understand that they may be a young couple but I dont think that age should be a factor in who can and cant adopt a child. The fact that they are capable and loving parents should. If I didnt have such a hard time with my kids I would offer to have a baby for them but I dont think my body could handle it.
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Age has nothign to do with it, I was able to go through adoption classes at 21 for the foster care system. Unless they are trying ot do international adoption, you can adopt through the US private adoption agencies, or the foster care system at 21 no problem.

lesalmi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Nope they are in Florida and NO one will work with them. Keep being told your too young
mommy2casidee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM
She should try a surrogate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clemency3
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM

That is terrible. But I just hope they don't give up. I am sure that one agency out there will be willing to work with them. UGH....that is such a shame. 

jojo_star
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Age should very much be a factor in who can adopt a child. However, it isn't always. You can be a foster parent and adopt through foster care at 21. You won't get an infant through private adoption at a young age, but if they're willing to accept a child, they'll be able to find thousands just ready and waiting.
lesalmi
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM
The problem they have with fostering is that he is a marine. so they very well may get a child for foster care and then have to up and move. they want to give a forever home.

Quoting jojo_star:

Age should very much be a factor in who can adopt a child. However, it isn't always. You can be a foster parent and adopt through foster care at 21. You won't get an infant through private adoption at a young age, but if they're willing to accept a child, they'll be able to find thousands just ready and waiting.

jojo_star
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Then they shouldn't be allowed to foster until they know they can stay in one area long enough to finalize an adoption. Adoption is NOT for the parents or what they want or is best for them, it's about what is best for the children.

Quoting lesalmi:

The problem they have with fostering is that he is a marine. so they very well may get a child for foster care and then have to up and move. they want to give a forever home.

Quoting jojo_star:

2Gs
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Yeah our story is almost identical to your post..3 miscarriages...even including the military part.  We were newlyweds with $20K worth of debt and we adopted.  I was in my 30's but my husband was 26.

cecilyloring
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

military people unfortunately often have a very hard time adopting. As a military spouse myself, I sympathize, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. Caseworkers/birth mothers don't think all those moves and deployments are good for kids. And to be honest, they're not.

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM
How sad :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN