Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

morning sickness :/ what helps?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 12 Replies
Finally starting to experience awful morning sickness. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't already have a fear of throwing up (sounds weird I know). Any ideas on what i could take to help with it?

I have phenergan but I'm not sure if that's safe to take or not.
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nerdymom28
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I had the most awful morning sickness. I sucked on peppermints a lot, because peppermint helps settle the stomach. I kept a pack of saltines on my night stand and would eat a few of them in the morning before getting out of bed. (I know it sounds really weird, but it actually did help.) And I also sipped Sprite throughout the day.

mem82
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM

eating a few crackers before sitting up in bed can help

Sea Bands for motion sickness can help

eating a small amount every 90 minutes or so can help

good luck!

jennybabyy09
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Ill definitely try the peppermints, I never even thought of that. Crackers havnt helped so far and I have acid reflux so sprite just makes that worse :/

Quoting nerdymom28:

I had the most awful morning sickness. I sucked on peppermints a lot, because peppermint helps settle the stomach. I kept a pack of saltines on my night stand and would eat a few of them in the morning before getting out of bed. (I know it sounds really weird, but it actually did help.) And I also sipped Sprite throughout the day.

nancyschmancey
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM

My friend swears by protein instead of carbs (i.e. she eats a string cheese instead of crackers).  She says that keeps the nausea at bay longer.  I just gave in and got some anti-nausea meds, which have been a GODSEND.  I actually thought I was over the morning sickness, and stopped taking the meds, but this mornig it hit me hard again.  Yay.

19greeneyesmoma
by Angel on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Crackers and ginger ale helped me alittle on top of having some zofran.

CafeMom Tickers
jennybabyy09
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
What anti nausea meds are you taking? I have phenergan, but I'm not sure if its safe to take. I got it from a doc when I was sick a few months ago.

Quoting nancyschmancey:

My friend swears by protein instead of carbs (i.e. she eats a string cheese instead of crackers).  She says that keeps the nausea at bay longer.  I just gave in and got some anti-nausea meds, which have been a GODSEND.  I actually thought I was over the morning sickness, and stopped taking the meds, but this mornig it hit me hard again.  Yay.

nancyschmancey
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I'm on Reglan.  Zofran is the most common, and I believe Phenergan is also allowable for pregnancy; that being said, I'd advise you to ask your OB rather than this board, just in case.  :)

see http://www.uptodate.com/contents/nausea-and-vomiting-of-pregnancy-beyond-the-basics

CafeMom Tickers
Navix
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I don't know how serious everyone's morning sickness is, but if it's cutting into your normal day to day lives then there's a brand new prescription drug specifically for pregnancy morning sickness that just hit the market this summer 2013. Click here for a really good article that tells you more about the drug and who should use it. Obviously you want to try anything naturally first (I personally ate a lot of ginger including hot water with shaved ginger root, ginger candies and ginger snaps), but for those of you who really suffer from nausea and persistent vomitting this may be something you want to ask your doctor about. Best of luck!

New.OrleansLady
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM

zofran is better than phenergan... both are safe during pregnancy but zofran doesn't cause drowsiness like Phenergan does. 

rosewind13
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Ginger Ale was all that worked for me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)