Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Who do I call about circumcision?? Updated

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 22 Replies

I found a pediatrician in our area who was taking new patients and who didn't act as if they had never heard of a homebirth!! I spoke with the receptionist at Dr.Hussein Al-Shammaa's office (what a name right) and she said they worked with mom's who had homebirths and new the process. So I am supposed to call shortly after delivery and they will schedule us to come in when baby is 3 days old (if its a boy)! We will have an apt to go to the hospital nursery first to have baby administered the Vitamin K shot, and then we will go to the pediatrician office to have the circumcision done! We had planned to skip the Vitamin K shot and schedule the circumcision after day 8. But the Dr doesn't do them that late, and only does them IF the Vitamin K shot is given! So atleast I have figured that all out!! YEAY!!

I am not interested in information on circumcision itself? I dont want to hear how horrible a mother I am, etc etc etc. I am just curious who does circumcision?? With my boys I had hospital births. They were given the vitamin K shot and circumcised immediately! With this baby I am not sure of the sex. But my midwife said I need to call and set up the circumcision incase this is a boy, and then just cancel if its not. And that way I can find out their policy on when they will do it etc. But who do I call? Do I call my family Dr? Or is there someone else?? Never had to go about it this way so I haven't a clue!

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arigdon4
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

the chosen Pedi, pedi on duty at L&D and/or family doctor. I assume you are having a home birth/using a birth center? If so when LO goes in for the first check up just mention it before hand and they will be ready to do it as soon as you get there.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

We are having a homebirth, at home! No birthing center. And we dont use pediatricians, we just use our family Dr for checkups. But I will call a Pedi and see if I can get the first apt set up with them!

Quoting arigdon4:

the chosen Pedi, pedi on duty at L&D and/or family doctor. I assume you are having a home birth/using a birth center? If so when LO goes in for the first check up just mention it before hand and they will be ready to do it as soon as you get there.

smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I'd start with your family doctor. He/she could probably point you in the direction of someone.
Lovin_mybaby5
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM

My OB actually does the circ. so I talked to her about

jakesmom323
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM
The baby's pediatrician's office you want or a peds office at a hospital;)
SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I have a friend that chose to do it and our hospital doesn't do circumcision so she called the pedi and they set it up.

MichelleH86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM
My ob doctor does them.... I would check with the pediatrician to see.. I know my hospital does not offer them..
jojo_star
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Call your local hospital, or your pediatrician.
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Talk to your family doctor. You probably need to go to a pedi for that though.
alleyrock
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM
My ob's office does it. They want $250 cash and it has to be done within two weeks of birth for them to do it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)