Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Can I make my contractions stronger/more productive?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 13 Replies
Went in to my OB office today because I've been having contractions 2-3min apart for 1 1/2-2min for what is now 24hrs.
Upon cervical check, I am still thinning quickly, but not dilating. I was a 1 on Friday and am a "loose" 1 now. By that she said she means very soft and stretchy. The contractions are a 6 on a scale of 10, and I would just love for a 15! Any suggestions on how to help intensify contractions??
Thanks!
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2gg
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM
walk
sex
spicy food
bounce on ball
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Well it depends on your body. Try bouncing on a birthing ball, having sex, nipple stimulation. You can walk, do lunges, etc. Some women find movement in those ways helps. But some women's bodies have to relax for the contractions to gain intensity. For example by taking a bath, doing nipple stimulation, and having DH rub your ankles!

Koux
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Movement and stretching will help you a lot. Low squats, bouncing/rolling your hips on an exercise ball, rocking, swaying... Sit with your knees wide apart and stretch your arms forward. Anything that opens your pelvis and stretches your hip joints and back will not only feel great, but help make contractions more efficient and help baby move down the birth canal, which will dilate you more.
On a different note, don't feel discouraged because you're not dilating as quickly as you thought. Things can change within minutes, there's no way to predict how fast labor will start up. I know it's tough when you're having painful contractions, but just try and relax through them, and have patience. Sounds like baby is almost here. Good luck, hope things work out well and baby is safe and healthy! :)
robbinbj
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:36 AM
I've been trying to walk tons, nipple stimulation does seem to help. Sex is difficult, it's painful, but we created a system to cut the time in half.
I'm nervous because my Mom is leaving work to fly in tomorrow, but if he's not born by Tuesday she'll have to leave and may not be able to come back. :(
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Moving, changing positions, a warm bath, sex, nipple stimulation, rest. All those things can help.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Do you think your nervousness could be holding you back? You may want to talk with her or your husband about how you are feeling and try to accept things as they are and allow yourself to labor no matter the timing. Mental blocks can do a lot to keep labor from progressing.

Quoting robbinbj:

I've been trying to walk tons, nipple stimulation does seem to help. Sex is difficult, it's painful, but we created a system to cut the time in half.
I'm nervous because my Mom is leaving work to fly in tomorrow, but if he's not born by Tuesday she'll have to leave and may not be able to come back. :(

kelly617
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM

My doc and nurses have all said to take a warm bath...I have no idea why but apparently it turns "pre labor" (what you're having) into real labor

I tried it with my first and it totally worked. I was only having lower back pain and I got in the bath...stayed in about an hour and when I got out the contractions hit me like a ton of bricks. Went into L&D 3hrs later and I was 7cm dilated!!

Good luck!

robbinbj
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Yes, we've all talked about it. The thing is, I had DD at 38 +5 after having labor stopped 4 times beginning at 30 weeks. With this one, I had labor stopped twice, and am 37 +4. Baby boy is estimated bigger than DD was, by nearly 2lbs. The doctors believe in natural labor (as do I,) but are very nervous because my bone structure is tiny, and DD was a mere 6lbs 4oz and got stuck with her head half way out, had to be ripped out and I ruptured. So the drs want this to happen as much as we do. I am hoping that once Mom gets here, I'll relax and everything will progress. If he's born on Sat at 37 +6, hello be exactly 2 years and 3 months younger than his sister to the day.
I'm just afraid of waisting time and money.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Do you think your nervousness could be holding you back? You may want to talk with her or your husband about how you are feeling and try to accept things as they are and allow yourself to labor no matter the timing. Mental blocks can do a lot to keep labor from progressing.

Quoting robbinbj:

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

What position did you deliver your daughter in?

At only 37 weeks, baby may just not be ready yet. Regardless of size, he may need time to finish developing and time for his lungs to mature.

Quoting robbinbj:

Yes, we've all talked about it. The thing is, I had DD at 38 +5 after having labor stopped 4 times beginning at 30 weeks. With this one, I had labor stopped twice, and am 37 +4. Baby boy is estimated bigger than DD was, by nearly 2lbs. The doctors believe in natural labor (as do I,) but are very nervous because my bone structure is tiny, and DD was a mere 6lbs 4oz and got stuck with her head half way out, had to be ripped out and I ruptured. So the drs want this to happen as much as we do. I am hoping that once Mom gets here, I'll relax and everything will progress. If he's born on Sat at 37 +6, hello be exactly 2 years and 3 months younger than his sister to the day.
I'm just afraid of waisting time and money.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Quoting robbinbj:

saralizjr
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM

u must try...CASTROL OIL....no regrets! 

baby dust

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)