Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Knowing the gender vs not knowing

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM
  • 74 Replies

I'm excited to announce I'm expecting my 3rd, April 21st! We just found out last Saturday and we have decided to keep it on the DL til November, so I'm all excited to talk to someone, ANYONE right now! Lol.

Anyway, back to the topic! With my first 2 I found out at 20 weeks the gender, DS is 7 and DD will be 6 in Nov. SO suggested we not find out the gender and wait for the surprise the day of :) I got to say I am more OK with this than I thought I would be! I have had a boy and girl already, so this whole surprise thing is new and exciting :)

Did you find out the gender, or no? Tell me how it felt to find out the day your baby was born, I feel like it might be a whole new experience! Or tell me if you did find out, if you want to share your experience at not wanting to wait lol :)

pregnancy calendar
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColleenF30
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I am 34 weeks and have no clue what this baby is. This is the second one I have waited with. It is so much more fun that way.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Congrats! I want to let it be a surprise next time. I go back and forth about it though because I have 2 girls and the next one will be our last baby. If it is a boy, I think I would want that excitement the whole pregnancy. And I would hate to be disappointed at birth if it is a girl. Plus there are some cool gender reveal ideas I would love to try. So who knows what I will decide to do when the time comes.

Lala06
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think I would be able to handle the suspense!! Lol I found out with all three of mine maybe if I have a forth 😊
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I've done both

I kept DD1, 4 and my current pregnancies (I'm 34.4wks) a surprise and I found out with DD2 & 3.  I deff enjoy the surprise route better.  

Getting to hear what you're having during the pregnancy and gender specifically prepare is nice, but after going through hours of labor hearing the doctor, or your husband/SO yell out "It's a....." it's just an amazing feeling that adds to the experience =0)

Clemency3
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I have one of each too and for me I had to find out just because I had nothing. My oldest is soon to be 9 and my youngest just turned 6 so we had given everything away fully knowing we were not going to have more. So since I had to buy everything and all I had to find out just so I could be prepared. If I had everything from both of them then I would have welcomed a surprise. 

CafeMom Tickers
MamAshley4
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM
3 moms liked this
Not finding out is the one surprise in life that can not be spoiled by anyone...
Heather2001
by Heather on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

All three of mine have been surprises - I love it!

valrubio
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I think not finding out the sex til birth makes the whole birthing experience more exciting but DH and I are too impatient to wait, lol.

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I found out with #1-#3 and on #4 I decided I didn't want to know, Hubby agreed. I am 34 wks and OMG is it exciting!!!! I am so much more thrilled then I was with my others in a way I just can't explain!! It has brought a lot to this pregnnacy for sure!!! And I kinda regret taking that excitment away from my HUsband and my self by finding out with the last 3 kiddos! But that is just what people did! No one understands our not finding out now LOL! It has been so fun and exciting to get all the guesses. EVERYONE except for Hubby and I swear this is a girl. Every stranger I meet guesses girl!! Hubby and I swear boy!!! We are also having our second homebirth, so Hubby will sit next to our tub as I labor and deliver our precious baby, and as baby comes he will help me bring it to my chest and then he will look for the gender and announce it to me and my kids. I am so so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RandiBear
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I want to be surprised, but DH wants to know next time around. So he said what he was going to do is find out the sex and only reveal it to the people who will be at my baby shower (his aunts throw a shower for every pregnancy) and instruct them to decorate in a gender neutral way. He's going to have the cake made so that it's either blue or pink inside so when I cut into it I will be surprised. Then everyone at the shower will have bought gender appropriate things and I will still get to be surprised.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)