Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

gestational diabetes testing

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM
  • 18 Replies
Has anyone here opted out of it?

I asked my Dr today if I could she said No. :(
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awilliamson
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

This is my first and I didn't opt out, only because they were saying baby was measuring pretty big and thought that could be a cause. Had his size not been an issue, I would have asked to opt out. I ended up passing it.

I didn't think they could tell you no! I don't see it as a life or death matter, especially if you feel fine, baby is doing fine, and you haven't had any issues. I, however, am not a doctor. 

Mrs.Thomason
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Well they test because it's really easy for a pregnant woman to get it.  That can cause complications and if they don't know you have it then they arn't prepared for the complications it's so that they can know all the possible complications that can arise.  Not just with you but with baby as well.  At least that's what my doc said.  I've done the test three times now.

AndreaGalvez
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I didn't want to take it because everyone talks about how completely sugary and disgusting the drink is...lies. All lies. It tastes like Gatorade orange. And they'll offer to give it to you with ice (say yes). They give you around 5 minutes to drink it all and I chugged it down in two gulps within 30 seconds. Didn't even taste bad! I actually wanted more lol. The first sample will be of your pee (before) and blood. And then after an hour, just blood. It'll be fine and its important :-) drink much water days before the test and relax. Take a book to read or something while you wait.
kerryleanne
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM

It's very important to do.  Gestational Diabetes is serious and if you don't know you have it, the baby could get really big and you both could get really sick.  I had gestational diabetes 2 times and will probably have it again.  It does not matter how healthy you are and you do not have to be overweight.  Anyone can get it so taking is test is a must in my opinion.  Better to be safe than sorry.

tammy_lynne
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I was unable to complete the test. I couldn't keep the drink down. Now they are just going to have me eat normally, and then have me come in for a regular blood test. 

bebe_ju-rah
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM
I wouldn't opt out
Clemency3
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM

no i never did. i think it is a necessary test just to be on the safe side. god forbid you have it and not know about it. then it can endanger you and the child. 

CafeMom Tickers
Salem2012
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Bla mine is next appointment :/

MoMofTWOkiddos
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM
I never opted out. Thank goodness I didn't because I failed both my 1 hour and 3 hour tests. I'm now a gestational diabetic that for some reason we can't keep under control. I even have whacko high blood pressure.
lovinlife2005
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Couldn't opt out. I've had it with my past two pregnancies, and pretty sure it is back again with this one. I am only 22 weeks, but I can tell when my sugar is high or low. I'll be glad to get throught this pregnancy so it will go away again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN