Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

declining testing? need opinions

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 215 Replies
2 moms liked this
I'm 25 years old and 16 Weeks pregnant with my first. dh and I are undecided on testing, so I'd really like some opinions since its scheduled for next week.

I'm scheduled for the blood test that tests for down syndrome, cystic fibrosis, and Spina bifida. We don't care about the first two, but if the baby has Spina bifida, we'd need to know. I don't have any risk factors for any of them, and don't really want to take the test. Opinions?
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zetajen
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM
14 moms liked this

the easiest way to decide about testing is to ask the question, what will you do with the information if the test comes back positive? if the answer is continue with the pregnancy, then I see no reason for the testing. I don't know much about the spina bifida test, but the downs test does not have an impressive accuracy rate.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I declined all genetic testing. DH and I are both young and healthy, we have no risk factors, and no family history of anything. To us, it wouldn't have made a difference if our baby had any of those, as it wouldn't change if we continued the pregnancy or not and those tests can have false positives. If you're concerned about spina bifida, that's something that can usually be picked up in your anatomy scan done around 20 weeks.

Mittenmommie
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this
Basically ask yourself, does it matter what the tests show? If no, then skip it. If yes, do them.
I'm 30 and pregnant with my second, and we skipped the testing just like with my first because it wouldn't have mattered either way.
So far all my ultrasounds look normal and I'm not worried.
Good luck on whatever you decide.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
12 moms liked this

#1 I don't test because I dont believe in abortion, and I would love my child no matter what.

#2 I dont test because their are LOTS of false positives!

Monkiebut
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM
5 moms liked this
I declined testing with all 3 of my kids.... My first two are perfectly heathy and up until 20 weeks so was my last. We had our US at 18 weeks and found out it was a boy! 2 weeks later I went into labor. It was stopped but I was put on bed rest cause I kept contracting. At 22 weeks I was still measuring 18 weeks so we had to do another ultrasound. By 26 weeks my son was diagnosed with IUGR, blocked bowel and CF. here is where the testing comes in-
Because I declined testing we have to test my me prior to the amnio due to insurance. (The amnio was a few grand!). Because of the CF if my son was born a premee his chance of survival was less then half of a "normal" premee born at the same gestation.
IF we had found out at 26 weeks he had IUGR and not 22, the docs would have bypassed the testing and delivered immediately. My son would not have made it. Knowing i was carrier by 24 weeks saved his life. As it was he had a 5% chance of making it and. 0% chance of going to term...
I support testing 100%, since it IS just a blood test. I, however, no not support amnios unless something is wrong. The risk is too great.

Oh and my son was born @ 38w6d was in the NICU for 17 days and is now a fairly healthy 2 yr old! He is 30lbs too!
Monkiebut
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM
3 moms liked this
#1, the knowledge is more than just for abortion reasons, if your child is at risk for any of those 3 things the doctors have to monitor the pregnancy very differently!
#2, there are ZERO false posts gives for CF, only false negatives.

Quoting NoraDun:

#1 I don't test because I dont believe in abortion, and I would love my child no matter what.

Monkiebut
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this
All three of the things being tested for the doctors have to monitor the pregnancy very diffenently so it DOES matter more then if you choose to keep it.
And being a healthy young person does NOT mean your child will be. Many things with genetics are recessive meaning it can go unnoticed for hundreds of years until a child is affected.

Quoting zetajen:

the easiest way to decide about testing is to ask the question, what will you do with the information if the test comes back positive? if the answer is continue with the pregnancy, then I see no reason for the testing. I don't know much about the spina bifida test, but the downs test does not have an impressive accuracy rate.

miapia1020
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Thanks for the opinions, everyone. The result of the test would not impact whether I would continue with the pregnancy or not. There's no way i'm not continuing. I just know with spina bifida, there are things that can be done to help, so I wouldnt want to avoid that. The reason i'm hesitating is because my mom was told around this time that I had down syndrome. She went the rest of her pregnancy worrying for no reason, and I wouldnt want to deal with that.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

WHAT??? Their are false positives often!!! Have had friends who have been there done that!!!  And u/s are more then capable, and MORE reliable in determining isues with the baby! Downs Syndrome for example, many downs babies  are born healthy. Some do have heart conditions and such, NONE of which the blood work picks up, only u/s do. So no in my opinion I disagree with both of your reasonings. But what the heck does it matter, she asked for opinions, I gave mine, give yours don't try to post reasons why you disagree with someone elses OPINION, which they are entitled too!

Quoting Monkiebut:

#1, the knowledge is more than just for abortion reasons, if your child is at risk for any of those 3 things the doctors have to monitor the pregnancy very differently!
#2, there are ZERO false posts gives for CF, only false negatives.

Quoting NoraDun:

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Avoid the testing, have the u/s done. It is more reliable and will show if their is anything to be concerned about. The point of early blood works is to allow women to have 1st trimester abortions. If your not will to have an abortion then you can wait for your anatomy scan for a more reliable determination as to if baby is healthy or not!!!

Quoting miapia1020:

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. The result of the test would not impact whether I would continue with the pregnancy or not. There's no way i'm not continuing. I just know with spina bifida, there are things that can be done to help, so I wouldnt want to avoid that. The reason i'm hesitating is because my mom was told around this time that I had down syndrome. She went the rest of her pregnancy worrying for no reason, and I wouldnt want to deal with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN