Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Ok breast feeding question

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM
  • 24 Replies
I know this is the pregnancy group, but many of us have other children also...
So I didn't breast feed with my first child, I'm going to try with this baby. My question is, I want to also pump so I can bottle feed, or dh can bottle feed in the event I'm not home, I need a shower and so on..
So, do you pump one side while baby is feeding on the other? Or do you feed baby and then pump? I'm so confused, I know basically nothing about breast feeding..
Thanks in advance!
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sagemm
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM
There are so many different opinions on pumping/bottle feeding/breast feeding. I think it is what works for you, within guidelines. Baby will ultimately decide what baby wants. Some babies will go back and forth but make sure you have a good nipple for your bottle. The more u pump/breast feed more you generally produce.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Find a LL near you

Do not pump for the first 2 months at least. Your body will be regulating your supply based on demand. If you are nursing and pumping, you will have to deal with an over production. You don't want that. If I didn't donate and work f/t, I wouldn't pump. Nursing is so much easier than all that.

WWW.Kellymom.com is an excellent resource for breastfeeding questions. As is the breastfeeding group here on CM
lauren.m
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I never pumped only bf so I'm no help other than a bump for ya :)
Heather2001
by Heather on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I would feed baby on one side then pump the other.  And unlike a PP, I pumped a lot the first couple months because that's when you have a ridiculous oversupply anyway and can get a good freezer store of milk going.  Also, you'll typically get more if you pump first thing in the morning.

Mittenmommie
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM
How long can you freeze the milk?

Quoting Heather2001:

I would feed baby on one side then pump the other.  And unlike a PP, I pumped a lot the first couple months because that's when you have a ridiculous oversupply anyway and can get a good freezer store of milk going.  Also, you'll typically get more if you pump first thing in the morning.

Mittenmommie
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Quoting Heather2001:

amberleh
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I feed and then pump the other side afterwards personally. I also take fenugreek to increase my milk supply so the baby can get full on feeding from one breast, and the milk from the other side can be exclusively bagged and frozen for later use for bottle feeding.

Ladybugmama86
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I find that pumping a couple ounces on the other side works well for me. But I also leak a LOT on the other side, so I was keeping my clothes clean as well as having some extra to use if need be. But I would never fully pump the other side in case baby wanted more then that one side...... But that was rarely the case because I produced so much. But the other side to that is if I didnt fully pump the other side then I wasnt making my body WAY over produce.

Just fine what works for you. CAll your local la leche League as well, they are awesome with helping with stuff like that.

BabyName Ticker
Ladybugmama86
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Regular freezer I believe it 2 weeks. Deep freezer 6 months to a year.

You can store bm at room temperature up to 10 hours and in the refrigerator for up to 8 days.

Quoting Mittenmommie:

Quoting Heather2001:

BabyName Ticker
rwcw89
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Glad u made this post I was wondering it myself
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)