Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Did You Have ANY Clue Your Water Was About To Break?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 22 Replies

I know it doesn't often happen outside of L&D but I am SO afraid of it happening while I am at work.  My office is a good drive from the hospital and I just imagine the timing to be horrible with traffic if it did happen and then I'd have to have someone drive me... I don't like the thought of it, lol.  Today I got this feeling similar to when you swear your period is leaking but when you go to the bathroom it isn't and I was just thinking please not now, please, please. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Mine's only broke on it's own once and I was already in the hospital in full on active labor (8cm, I gave birth about 30-45 mins after it broke) and I had no clue it was about to happen.

beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I had AROM but my mom's broke before labor started. She said it just happened all of a sudden. She felt a pop with no warning. Most women are already in labor when theirs breaks. I think somewhere around only 10-15% of women have their water break before labor begins.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I had that feeling like you describe right before labor started with my daughter. It was my plug liquefying though. It came out in a small gush.

Idesigner33
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Usually water breaking is a gushing or it could be a slow leak. Pack towels in your car seat. You don't really know when it's going to happen. Stock up on some extra thick pads too, that will at least help you to get to the hospital. Also note, get that stuff cleaned up ASAP, especially in car, it will smell like rotten chicken if it stays.

smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM
It's actually a very small percentage of people who have their water break on their own, most people have it broken in the hospital.

My DH was very scared that my water would break at home and make a mess all over the house or car, but he never had to worry about it, my water was broken in the hospital.
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Oh and at the end of your pregnancy there can be a lot of watery discharge that's not your water but you may think it is. You can have them tested at your office or hospital if you're really concerned.
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM
No had been going through my nesting phase something I didn't know existed at the time I went to bed around midnight and around 5am that morning my water broke.
Wills_Wifey
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I had to have mine broken when I was in labor with my dd,but when my mom was pregnant with my brother she picked me up and it broke.
momma2zac2006
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Nope I was taking my plate to the sink feeling fine turned around and bam it broke. No warning signs at all. That was with my youngest. My oldest the Dr broke it.
lovemusic24
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM

When I had my 1st baby, my broke while I was in bed, I had no idea it was coming, with my 2nd baby, she was late so they had to break my water for me. when it happens,wherever it happens, everything will be ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)