Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

extra teeth?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
I took my 6 year old to the dentist today and they informed me that he has an extra set of front top teeth. They are going to refer him to an oral surgeon. Has anyone ever heard of this?
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Clemency3
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Yea...I had 2 extra teeth on top but they were removed in my retainer that was glued in. so when they pried off the retainer the teeth came out. in my opinion you don't have to do anything right now. the teeth will be crooked and he will eventually need them removed to help that issue. also if they get too crowded then they could create a problem in terms of pain and what not. but for myself I never had an issue with them being in there. 

CafeMom Tickers
theresa13183
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM

yes

youve probably seen people who have teeth grown in on top of theirs....i believe the most common name for it is snaggle tooth but i'm having a prego brain moment

google images throws out scary pictures but they are not a big deal and usually easy to remove

esox
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I remember going to school with a girl that had extra teeth, everyone called her Shark Girl. 

iamnameless
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:38 PM
His teeth are already crowded and not coming in straight. The dentist said the extra teeth will cause him problems if not removed.

Quoting Clemency3:

Yea...I had 2 extra teeth on top but they were removed in my retainer that was glued in. so when they pried off the retainer the teeth came out. in my opinion you don't have to do anything right now. the teeth will be crooked and he will eventually need them removed to help that issue. also if they get too crowded then they could create a problem in terms of pain and what not. but for myself I never had an issue with them being in there. 

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleH86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM

my husband had this.. and he had an extra "prong" on all of his teeth. he had to get them surgically removed when he was younger.. but i do have to say he has some gorgeous teeth now so i definately wouldn't worry  :)

Merrick17
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Yep, they will have to be removed. I had two and they caused my top teeth to be crooked cause they weren't taken out in time. It happens. Didn't have a whole row, just 2.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)