Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Missed twins? Has that happened to you?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 103 Replies
I had a scan at 14 weeks 3 days and they said there was only one in there. I've had one doc visit since then and they only heard one heartbeat. I'm going in for my 20 week ultrasound on Tuesday and somehow I'm still paranoid that there are 2 babies not one. I realize that's very unlikely, but it keeps popping into my head, lol. Did this happen to any of you?

Edit: I had my scan and there is only one baby in there!! They checked a lot because the tech was training a new tech and was showing her how to do everything. So I got a very long and in depth ultrasound. I also found out its our 4th girl! Dh was hoping for one more boy but oh well.

I think we will probably name her Penelope Rose, Penny for short.
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I have said over and over again because of measuring so far ahead, having such strong movement, and baby's odd position that it felt like I was carrying two. And certain family members SWEAR I am gonna get a surprise at delivery. But I can't imagine that after 4 u/s they would be able to miss a second baby. My Grandmother is like, yea the second baby is smaller and hiding, but still its not impossible, but VERY unlikely!!!

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol. Maybe your baby is just going to be very active. All my kids were bouncing around constantly in the womb and didn't stop once born either. They are active people!

Twins never once popped into my head with the other pregnancies but with this one the thought just won't go away. I don't know why that is. I don't particularly WANT twins, but if I have them of course I will love them. I guess I will find out for sure on Tuesday. The 14 week ultrasound was very quick. It wouldn't surprise me if they missed something.

Quoting NoraDun:

I have said over and over again because of measuring so far ahead, having such strong movement, and baby's odd position that it felt like I was carrying two. And certain family members SWEAR I am gonna get a surprise at delivery. But I can't imagine that after 4 u/s they would be able to miss a second baby. My Grandmother is like, yea the second baby is smaller and hiding, but still its not impossible, but VERY unlikely!!!

sugarcrisp
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I've seen 2 posts on CM, one that was featured in MC that a twin was found at 30wks. It happens, but RARELY.

connorsmama06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:18 PM

My sister had this happen. The twin was hiding. They found him at 20 weeks

Donna.June
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I have heard of this happening and like you I'm afraid it'll happen to me! Lol, I'm 33 weeks along and have an ultrasound schedule on the 9th of September. We'll see then. Lol
sfank
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I have friends who are twins and their parents didn't know there were two babies until the first one was born. Granted, that was 26 years ago and she'd only had one ultrasound. The thought still freaks me out every time I'm pregnant though.

Cherriemama831
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM

It happens one baby can be hhiding behind the other , I have had all single birth's but a mom at my daughters school had triplets (naturally conceived) she said she was surprised when they told her it was twins and then 2 months later did a scan and told her there were 3

VintageWife
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I went to school with twins that were like that. The mom was told one the whole time and after that one came out, they realized another was coming too :)

SuthernBelleo0o
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM

lol you sound like me.. Everytime we do an ultrasound I ask them there is just 1 right?! lol

littlelamb303
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:40 AM

no, even though I have twins in my family.  I was pretty sure at 17 weeks there was only one.  FYI, my mom had twins in 1966 and she did not know she was carrying two babies.   They would listen to the heartbeat with a doppler back then, and never heard more than one heartbeat(they told her the hearts were most likely beating at the same time).  She delivered twin girls, both were well over 6 lbs, full term.  It was a shock to my entire family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)