Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Plan *Help*

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM
  • 3 Replies

So I've decided to start doing my birth plan. I'm 22 weeks now, so I figured it's as good a time as any to look at my options and jot them down. Now I know things don't always go to plan, and this is my second; but I did not have a proper set out birth plan with my daughter, and luckily got a really good midwife.

So so far.

• No pain relief; this includes but is not limited to pethadine, morphine, epidural or spinal tap.
  • Gas and air only if requested by myself.
  • No IV drip, I will orally take fluids.
  • I would like the ability to move around and shower whilst in labour.
  • No epsiotomy, forceps etc to be used unless absolutely necessary.
  • My partner is to be allowed to stay with me at all times, and assist if possible.
  • If child is born without any serious issue, cord cutting must be delayed 5 minutes, or until the cord stops pulsating.
  • I do not wish to have any injections to aid in the passing of the placenta.
  • I plan to breastfeed, so no formula, bottles, teats or anything of the sort are to be given to baby.
  • I would like immediate contact with baby, the father and I will assist in the first bath at a time we feel is right.
  • No Hep B or Vit K injections.
  • Baby is to be with either myself or my partner at all times.
  • I do not intend on staying in the hospital for any longer than 12hrs, unless complications arise.
  • Should something happen in an emergency, my partner (and next of kin) has the right to speak on my behalf.

So ladies, what am I missing? I'm sure there is bound to be something.

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
GreenDotsOrange
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:49 AM

What about your wishes if you have to have a csection? I know noone wants to think about this, hell i know i certainly don't, but i plan on putting it in my birth plan. If heaven forbid i had to have a csection i would want immediate skin to skin, still the cord clamping, to nurse right away. Do you want your placenta encapsulated? If you do i would put that in their too so they dont get rid of it.

BeautifulFey
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I'd just put that if in the case that a health proffessional believes a c-section is necessary, and if time allows, I would like to get a second opinion from a doctor of my choosing.

After that, I'd go with the flow. No, my placenta will be going in the waste bin. I'm crunchy but not THAT crunchy lol.

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

What about your wishes if you have to have a csection? I know noone wants to think about this, hell i know i certainly don't, but i plan on putting it in my birth plan. If heaven forbid i had to have a csection i would want immediate skin to skin, still the cord clamping, to nurse right away. Do you want your placenta encapsulated? If you do i would put that in their too so they dont get rid of it.

GreenDotsOrange
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I need to get to doing my birth plan. I am almost 29 weeks. You would think with all the nesting I would be wanting to do my plan but nope I just feel the need to clean and organize the house lol.

Quoting BeautifulFey:

I'd just put that if in the case that a health proffessional believes a c-section is necessary, and if time allows, I would like to get a second opinion from a doctor of my choosing.

After that, I'd go with the flow. No, my placenta will be going in the waste bin. I'm crunchy but not THAT crunchy lol.

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)