Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Evening primrose capsules

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 3 Replies
My midwife mentioned at the very end of my last check up (like, as we were walking out the door) to think about using Evening Primrose Oil at about 36 weeks to begin softening my cervix. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it and I'm having a hard time finding information on the interwebs. I purchased soft-gel capsules. Do I insert them toward my cervix? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM

You can do either (ask your midwife which she would prefer) but I wouldn't suggest starting them prior to being considered full term (37 wks) don't want to rush the process to early! I will be 36 wks Saturday and my cervix is extremely soft. My Midwife doesn't want me having ANY contractions because with such a soft cervix I could progress very quickly (my last labor was an hour and 58 min) So I am taking all possible precautions until 37 wks (Sept 14) Good Luck hun!

Wheepingchree
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Thanks for the advice! I think her reasoning for suggesting I start at 36 weeks is because I am having a VBAC. I didn't dilate at all after my water breaking at 41w5d with my first, so we're thinking this is probably going to move slowly...

Quoting NoraDun:

You can do either (ask your midwife which she would prefer) but I wouldn't suggest starting them prior to being considered full term (37 wks) don't want to rush the process to early! I will be 36 wks Saturday and my cervix is extremely soft. My Midwife doesn't want me having ANY contractions because with such a soft cervix I could progress very quickly (my last labor was an hour and 58 min) So I am taking all possible precautions until 37 wks (Sept 14) Good Luck hun!

livingforthem83
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I started taking them at 38 weeks with my last pregnancy. Once a day orally and once a day vaginally. A couple of days after I turned 39 weeks I started bleeding and had to be induced because it wouldn't stop. I think that maybe my body was just sensitive to them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)