Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

12 weeks maternity leave?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 52 Replies
Is anyone else taking 12 weeks? I want to so bad but I'm scared we won't have enough money. Right now, we have almost $1600 saved up. I'm due December 7, so we have 3 more months to save money but I'm still nervous. How much are you saving up?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Hubby gets 6 wks paid leave (he wont this time because he is taking vacation right before baby comes)

MzJReed
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I wish I could but we can't afford it. Staying out for 6 weeks only.

CafeMom Tickers
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM
what are you doing about daycare then? I'm so stressed out about daycare it's so expensive!

Quoting MzJReed:

I wish I could but we can't afford it. Staying out for 6 weeks only.

JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I'm allowed to take 12 weeks, but by March I will only have 8 weeks of time saved up. I don't want to take any unpaid time, so I'll be going back after that.

Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM

It depends?  Save up but honestly try to sell extra stuff u don't need & use coupons.  My job offers short term dissability & they pay for up to six week maternity leave but if you have complications they pay for longer, with my last baby I had "postpartum depression" which is a complication and I got them to pay for 6 months I went to a therapist every week that insurance covered what new mom isn't overwhelmed & hormonal!  It was a great place to vent about things I always did feel better after.  My babies are exclusively breastfed & I was able to bring them w/ me to work until they turned 1 & weaned.  

rwcw89
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

i would take all 12 but im opting the sahm route (more affordable, plus i cant take the idea of someone else raising my infant but me, esp since i want to ebf and my job is NOT understanding of me needing proper time to myself) they wont even let me take a sick day, anything that requires me to be away from my job they give me a hard time. my bf has saved a good amount so far , i've been paying off w.e bills ahead of time (the ones i can at least) and buying packs of diapers weekly (so far i have 5 packs, 1 - 72 newborn, 1 - 80 pack 1's, 3 - 72 packs 2's) along with some clothes this way bills and necesities wont be a huge burden 

Hopeful_2_be
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Well my job pretty much pushed me out after they found out i was pregnant and that was at 13 weeks pregnant. So i haven't really been able to get another job since then..ya know cuz who wants to hire a pregnant chick! Pshh its a bunch of crap but we've been doin ok with what just dh makes. I'll probably start looking for another job though after 6 weeks because obviously it'll add more to expenses when we need diapers n stuff for baby.
iHEAVENn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I would say take as much as you can afford... 

rwcw89
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

btw my job offers 12 weeks but its all unpaid, by the time disability kicks in the 12 weeks would be up either way, i could use vacation time / sick but thats only 3 weeks ish, ill be taking that time as early leave. 

H3llokitty89
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Quoting Hopeful_2_be:

Well my job pretty much pushed me out after they found out i was pregnant and that was at 13 weeks pregnant. So i haven't really been able to get another job since then..ya know cuz who wants to hire a pregnant chick! Pshh its a bunch of crap but we've been doin ok with what just dh makes. I'll probably start looking for another job though after 6 weeks because obviously it'll add more to expenses when we need diapers n stuff for baby.

That happened to me too! They were so rude about me having to take time off for appts. I couldn't deal with it!!
CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)