Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What are some tips for a first time doppler user?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 15 Replies
I am 15 weeks and 2 days and got my doppler today can anyone give me some good tips on how to easily find the heartbeat of baby...everything seems to be around 85-90 which I assume I'm picking up my heartbeat lol and not finding little nuggets
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemykids732
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

well, I know with my doppler with my last pregnancy I couldnt find it until I was about 30 weeks along... but good luck... :)

rwcw89
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

start from pelvic bone and work your way up slowly, (by about 15 wweeks i was a lil above it, still am) put a bit of pressure when looking and use slow circular motions, also check side to side, sometimes baby likes to hide in there and can be making the HB very difficult to hear, also make sure u use a decent amount of gel ( i use the aloe gel) 

Clemency3
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM

yea was gonna say..be careful because it is easy to mix up your own heart beat with baby's. usually start near your pubic bone, dead center under your belly button and if you don't hear it then VERY slowly work your way out to the sides a bit and you can usually catch it that way. 

CafeMom Tickers
samsanders
by Samantha on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Sometimes I find it better on one side or the other about 2 inches below my belly button. Sometimes it's so hard to find because baby is way in the back. The swooshing sound you'll hear is the blood being pumped through the placenta. The wind sound you'll hear is your placenta. The baby's heartbeat will be twice as fast as yours and will be close to a thumping sound. To me it sounds like a washing machine not horse gallops. Lol. Tilt the doppler towards the center of you body and push in a little since you're only 15 weeks. I'm just now able to rest the probe on my stomach without pushing in at 17 weeks. Hope this helps. :)
samsanders
by Samantha on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM
*Through the umbilical cord for the swooshing sound lol
Rockabella
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Lol the sound I picked up that was around 156 sounded like wow wow wow wow lol sounds silly but that's best way I can describe it.

I could get my heart rate around 80's and placent around 110-120

I'm hoping what I heard that was 156 was baby

Quoting samsanders:

Sometimes I find it better on one side or the other about 2 inches below my belly button. Sometimes it's so hard to find because baby is way in the back. The swooshing sound you'll hear is the blood being pumped through the placenta. The wind sound you'll hear is your placenta. The baby's heartbeat will be twice as fast as yours and will be close to a thumping sound. To me it sounds like a washing machine not horse gallops. Lol. Tilt the doppler towards the center of you body and push in a little since you're only 15 weeks. I'm just now able to rest the probe on my stomach without pushing in at 17 weeks. Hope this helps. :)

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

nicole2884
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM
There are three things you may hear your heart beat usually slow 120 an rhythmic

130 fish swooshy sound usually a vein

140+ more of a fast thumping sound which is usually baby its going to be low around pantie line an top of groin area
nicole2884
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this
This is what helped me sooo much

Quoting NoraDun:

Rockabella
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Thanks! Maybe this video will help me I'm going to try tonight. I've been such a worry wart lately because baby hasn't seemed to be moving the past week or so. It's still early so this will at least give me some reassurance. I hit on something at 156 yesterday I think it was baby but it didnt sound as much like a galloping horse to me. A lot of people have said that's what it sounds like

Quoting nicole2884:

This is what helped me sooo much

Quoting NoraDun:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)