Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Birth Plan *long*

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM
  • 33 Replies
This is my birth plan, I got some of it from the internet, but it was exactly what I wanted in a much less demanding way than I had written it. Any advice on how to shorten it up without losing what I want would be great. (:

We are looking forward to the birth of our first child. We understand that things may go wrong, but if everything goes smoothly and there are no emergencies, these are our wishes and we kindly ask they be respected.

The room is closed to all guests except, my husband, my mother, and my sister.

Please keep the lights dim and the door closed for our privacy.

I'd like to have as natural a birth as possible. Please don't offer any pain medication or do any interventions unless absolutely necessary. I do not want to be induced unless an emergency calls for it.

If when I arrive at the hospital my water isn't broken, I do not want it to be medically broken unless the baby's life or my life is in danger. If we must go home and come back when labor has progressed more, we will.

I would like to push at my own pace. Please no counting.

After the birth, I wish to nurse immediately. I ask that any evaluations be done while I am holding her. I also ask that the cord not be clamped or cut until it stops pulsating.

Please do not give our daughter any formula or pacifiers. We also ask that she not be given any shots. (Hep. B or Vit. K)

We prefer that our daughter be kept in the room with us at all times. If for any reason she must go anywhere outside our room, we ask that either I or her father go with her.

If Cesarean becomes necessary, I would like to be conscious, the father would like to be present at all times, and we still prefer for our daughter to be nursed immediately.

We prefer that our hospital stay be as short as possible and that we are able to go home as soon as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to help us achieve as natural of a birth as possible for our daughter.
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cuppycake91
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Sounds like what I want! Only difference is I don't really care about guests.

katallison
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM
The hospital I deliver at, I've been told that they push formula and aren't quick to hand you your baby. But also all these complaints are coming from people who went in without a birth plan. You can't expect the staff to be mind readers. So hopefully everything goes smoothly in my delivery. I plan on taking a copy to my next OB appointment to make sure everything is good with my doctor, if not, I will start looking for a new one ASAP.

Quoting cuppycake91:

Sounds like what I want! Only difference is I don't really care about guests.

scraphappy12
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I understand the no hep b but why no vitamin k? I'm not bashing your choice, I was just wondering what your rationale was?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

My birth plan was to get the baby out lol.  That was it.  Might be a good idea to bring some treats in for the nurses to make them feel accommodating towards the plan.  Sugar always helps!

VintageWife
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Sounds perfect!

katallison
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Since I will be breastfeeding, she will be getting plenty through the breast. No meed for it. IF I were having a boy, I MIGHT consider it, but not for a girl. And even for a boy, I think breastfeeding would be enough. Vitamin K isn't necessary if your baby isn't facing anything traumatic. For a boy, circumcision might make it more necessary, but I will cross the circumcision path when I come to it. (: For now, I am thankful for my girl. Lol

Quoting scraphappy12:

I understand the no hep b but why no vitamin k? I'm not bashing your choice, I was just wondering what your rationale was?
LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I think it's great, but I would put it into bullet points.  Easier for staff to glance at and a better chance that they will follow it without issue.

katallison
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Thank you. I don't want to sound demanding, but I read that not having a birth plan makes for a higher chance at ppd. And I don't want to try and tell the staff what my wishes are as they arise, they should already know.

Quoting VintageWife:

Sounds perfect!

VintageWife
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

My dr told me to write one out to make sure I get what I want :) 

Quoting katallison:

Thank you. I don't want to sound demanding, but I read that not having a birth plan makes for a higher chance at ppd. And I don't want to try and tell the staff what my wishes are as they arise, they should already know.

Quoting VintageWife:

Sounds perfect!

katallison
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I plan on doing that. I didn't on here because I'm on mobile and there isn't a bullet button. Lol I could have used the - though... dang it!

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

I think it's great, but I would put it into bullet points.  Easier for staff to glance at and a better chance that they will follow it without issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)