Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice Needed: Other people hate my baby name...

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom is passively opinionated about the name we've chosen, and keeps suggesting other names every time she sees me. And others have said "sounds like a stripper" and "as in a hooker?"  My husband and I love the name, and my two year old already calls her by the name we've chosen. How can I stick to my guns?  How do I squash all this negativity?  It's wearing me down... I dont even respond to the suggested alternatives.  Her name will be Kimber Laurel M. to share my intitials and honor a friend of ours by using Laurel as her middle name.

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
ashleysof3
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this
My MIL has voiced her dislike for our baby name. I told her he is coming out of my vagina so I will nane him whatever I want. She hasn't said anything about it since.
AllysMommy2013
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM

My hubby and I have had a horrible experience with everyone telling us what to name our daughter, when I found out I was pregnant and we told his mother the first thing she said was if it's a girl you have to name her Marie, it's a family name, blah blah blah, then his grandmother started in on Diana Frances, I need someone named after me blah blah blah, then my hubby and I decided on Allison (the only name we can agree on) then everyone started on I hate it, do what we did, well you guys all had kids and named them what you wanted it's my daughter her names Allison unless she comes to the world looking like something else if you have a problem with it have another kid and name it what you want...!!! That shut about everyone up... :D

Clemency3
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I love it! Don't worry about what your Mom thinks. My mom said the same thing about the name I picked out which is Lyla. I just ignore it and if she tries to bring up name options I quickly redirect her to talk about something else. All that matters is what you think of it. 

CafeMom Tickers
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
A stripper? Where do they get that? For me, I just think of a gun, lol.

It's your kid...name her whatever you want!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyRJ
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I know a kimber & she's def not a stripper or hooker.

This is why we have kept our names secret this time
RhondaVeggie
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM
When you said stripper I was thinking Cherry or Candy, something like that. Kimber doesn't appeal to me personally but it doesn't sound like a hooker name to me.

My mother recently told me that she didn't like my daughters name for the first several weeks but she's used to it now. Really no need to say that!
VintageWife
I'm picky about names and I think you've picked a good one. Start telling them to shut up or stay away and they'll change their tune.

I tell people they had their chance to name their kids without my help so now I deserve the same respect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylinC03

This. 

Quoting lillucky8:

We didnt tell anyone the name for this reason! I didnt want to hear about what people thought. Id just start telling people its a secret and they will know the name when the baby is born

Goddesswillow
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM

not a name i would pick but i dont see anything wrong with it at all, its unique and that is an extra plus to me

shortcake82418
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I like it...it's different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN