Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice Needed: Other people hate my baby name...

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom is passively opinionated about the name we've chosen, and keeps suggesting other names every time she sees me. And others have said "sounds like a stripper" and "as in a hooker?"  My husband and I love the name, and my two year old already calls her by the name we've chosen. How can I stick to my guns?  How do I squash all this negativity?  It's wearing me down... I dont even respond to the suggested alternatives.  Her name will be Kimber Laurel M. to share my intitials and honor a friend of ours by using Laurel as her middle name.

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
Babes2626
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

It's what you and your husband like no one else matters. I don't tell anyone the name until we announce the birth that way I don't have to hear anyone's input!

tabby21
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM

i like that name it is very DIFFERENT! we are going with izabella marie just like that! tell them to be quite and not to think of the baby like that! i really like that name! hope you stick with it!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

alc4evermom
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Kimber isn't a stripper name lol. 

bcoll
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly I would just say something to the effect of "Mom, this is our baby to name and this is what we've chosen. You don't have to like it but you do have to accept it. You trying to change my mind all the time isn't swaying me, it does however, hurt."

tammy_lynne
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Don't let it bother you. When she gives you another name suggestion, smile and say "That's nice." Then when you have your baby, you name her what you want. 

It's your choice, and she will have to learn to deal with it. 

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Its unique without being atrocious. Just dont say anthing about it anymore. She will have to deal with it.
Blessed2585
by New Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I am so sorry that you are in this positon with your family. Have you tried talking to your family and letting thim know how you feel?  I love the name!

I will be praying for you that it all works out!

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM
I agree!

Quoting babycrittermom:

If YOU and DH like the name that is all that matters.Plus it is impossible to please everyone and those suggesting you choose another name for your baby will have to get over it, Just tell them that her name is already decided period.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FireMoonGypsy
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think of Kimber as a stripper name.

"Sapphire Rain" now that sounds a little more than questionable- that was my husband's first choice for a baby name.
sweetlexie95
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:10 AM

It's your baby and your life, you are a grown women and can make decisions on your own, if you and DH like the name keep it :) I think it's cute :) I'm going through the same thing, My grandma and my aunt, and dad, do not like the name I'm giving my son Ayden Hollis Johnson, I personally don't give a damn :) I like it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)