Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice Needed: Other people hate my baby name...

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom is passively opinionated about the name we've chosen, and keeps suggesting other names every time she sees me. And others have said "sounds like a stripper" and "as in a hooker?"  My husband and I love the name, and my two year old already calls her by the name we've chosen. How can I stick to my guns?  How do I squash all this negativity?  It's wearing me down... I dont even respond to the suggested alternatives.  Her name will be Kimber Laurel M. to share my intitials and honor a friend of ours by using Laurel as her middle name.

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Replies (31-40):
scrapbookdiva
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Kimber is a sweet name!

We are all influenced by prior people and experiences when we hear baby names I think. It is really hard when someone doesn't react positively, let alone in an outwardly negative way. I was teased a lot as a child because of my name, so I named my kids very common names I felt were strong. My daughter is Amanda. When i told my Mom my girl name she told me it sounded like an old slave woman! That from a woman who professes not to be a bigot!!!!! I just never brought it up again, but stuck to my guns. I have never regretted the name, and my Mom & DD have been very close since the moment Amanda was born.
Barb87
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Its YOUR child, you name her what YOU WANT. As far as I'm concerned, you can tell everyone who gives you any lip about your DD's name to go screw themselves!!! Who are they to tell you or even offer alternative names that you never asked for?! *sigh* people, I swear!!!
LuvMommysBabies
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM
It's not a bad nane and above anything else its you and hubbys choice.
azn_ladie82
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I would tell her exactly how you feel and tell her to keep her opinions to herself. This is your child, not hers!

mamav2215
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM

you just stick to your guns, that's how. not everyone is going to love your baby name regardless of what you choose. and once your kid is here and you name it... the people who think their opinion really matter will shut up. 

name her what you want, if you like the name Kimber do it... and it's sweet to honor someone. 

SrkStrickland
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM

That is why I don't tell anyone my names before the baby is born. I personally LOVE Kimber! That is one of my favorite names and it doesn't sound like a stripper name at all. You might just have to firmly put these people in their place. It is NOT their job to name your baby and it is completely rude of them to have an opinion at all. I let my mother-in-law's opinion get to me with our first and we ended up changing it because it bothered me so much, which I regret. I love my son's name but I wish we had stuck to our guns and chosen what we really loved. Please don't let the same thing happen to you, it would be a shame :( Good luck!

Devious103102
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Just ignore the comments, at the end of the day its your baby and your choice. 

LNLMommy
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

How is that a stripper name? Just be firm in your decision..at the end of the day, who is going to be taking care of the baby-you or them? My sister hated the name I chose for my oldest DD. She insisted she would call her by her middle name but DD is 5 and she embodies the name I gave her 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it. Laurel is this baby's middle name. 

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:31 PM

You just stop telling people the name or just say well I love it and that is all that matters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN