Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice Needed: Other people hate my baby name...

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom is passively opinionated about the name we've chosen, and keeps suggesting other names every time she sees me. And others have said "sounds like a stripper" and "as in a hooker?"  My husband and I love the name, and my two year old already calls her by the name we've chosen. How can I stick to my guns?  How do I squash all this negativity?  It's wearing me down... I dont even respond to the suggested alternatives.  Her name will be Kimber Laurel M. to share my intitials and honor a friend of ours by using Laurel as her middle name.

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Replies (41-50):
SuprMom12042702
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Not to offend anyone with what I am about to say, because it came from my grandmother's mouth and my mother agreed.
My first two children are named Kenneth Noah Clay L. (he was named after two grandpas) and Victoria Abigail Alyzabeth L., (she was named after an uncle and a grandma). I divorced their father, and remarried and we have two children together and I gave him the choice to name the kids after anyone and he said he didn't want to do that he wanted them to have original names. So we named our kids Marissa Ariana Jade L. and Xavier Braeden Kade L.
My grandmother told me that their names sounded like n*gg*r names and that I was cursing them by naming them that. My mother agreed. I told them that until they squeezed the kid thru their hoo haas, that they could kiss my ass on what I named them. They shut up pretty quickly lol
If the name is what you want to name your child then don't worry with anyone else's opinions. Hell with my first two I didn't even care what my husband thought with the baby names, I named them myself lol

finnbar
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Oh gosh, I feel your aggrivation. We told my dumb inlaws and everybody scoffed at my son's name. Even tho it is my FIL's middle name and has been a big name in BOTH our family ancestries.
They kept pushing for Rudolph. Yes, as in the reindeer with the red nose.
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM

How is Kimber a stripper name?! My word people are stupid. I think the name is great. But all that matters is that you love it. I personally would respond very firmly. With your mom I would say "mom, this is her name, we are not changing it, you are hurting my feelings by suggesting new names which suggests that you don't like the name. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but it isn't open for discussion."

To the people saying the stripper crap, my response would be "Excuse me! No not like a stripper, but thanks for calling my baby a stripper, that was real classy of you." Then I would walk away. 

kysmama08
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

We have a 7 week old dd and named her Aspen Grace, well hubs grandma didn't like Aspen and insisted we call her Grace and started calling her that, we fixed that real quick. Also, hubs cousin and his wife just had their baby girl named her Lee Summer and his grandma did the same thing. We all had to set her in her place. It's y'alls baby not anybody else. The name doesn't sound like a stripper :)

1shoncy1
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Kimber is fine. Ive heard it somewhere before though....

1shoncy1
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Its a new day in age. People are being more creative with names and that goes for all races or ethnicities. It pisses me off when the older generations (grandmas and grandads) feel they have the right to tell you what u should name YOUR child. They had the chance of giving a name to a child, now let u have yours.

Larsbug
by Laura on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I know a Kimber and she's super smart...never thought of her as a stripper LOL

Sondi7
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I like the name Kimber. I never would have thought "stripper" or "hooker". As long as you and your husband love it, who cares? 

jojo_star
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM
All that matters is that you like it.
Brycensmommy85
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Kimber is a type of gun that's an awesome name! Lol who cares what other ppl think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)