Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hot tea during pregnancy

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

I was wondering what (if any) hot teas are safe to drink during pregnancy? I'm 23 weeks right now, if that makes a difference.

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
New.OrleansLady
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Caffeine in moderation is ok.
kcangel63
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I like Red Raspberry Leaf, Peppermint, and occasionally Earl Grey and Chai.
leew8372
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Oh sorry I meant decaf hot tea. There are two that we have at work that I really like, but I've been avoiding them because I read somewhere early on in my pregnancy that teas were bad.... but with it being colder I really want a hot beverage. So here are the two decaf hot teas that I like:

Green Tea, the ingredients are just green tea.

Lemon tea and the ingredients are rose hips, lemongrass, natural lemon flavor (soy lecithin), lemon verbena, lemon peel, hibiscus, peppermint leaves, and citric acid.

Are these two ok?

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

New.OrleansLady
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Lol we don't do much hot tea in New Orleans ... It's still near 100° here :)

The green tea should be fine. Skip the lemon tea

Herbs that may cause problems include anise, ginger, lime blossom, rose hip, catnip, chamomile, comfrey, ephedra (called ma huang in traditional Chinese medicine and banned in the U.S. since 2004), European mistletoe, hibiscus, horehound, Labrador, lemongrass, licorice root, mugwort, pennyroyal, raspberry leaf, rosemary, sage, sassafras,
stinging nettle leaf, vetiver, and yarrow.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_herbal-teas-during-pregnancy_3537.bc

Quoting leew8372:

Oh sorry I meant decaf hot tea. There are two that we have at work that I really like, but I've been avoiding them because I read somewhere early on in my pregnancy that teas were bad.... but with it being colder I really want a hot beverage. So here are the two decaf hot teas that I like:

Green Tea, the ingredients are just green tea.

Lemon tea and the ingredients are rose hips, lemongrass, natural lemon flavor (soy lecithin), lemon verbena, lemon peel, hibiscus, peppermint leaves, and citric acid.

Are these two ok?

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

beachlove512
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM

My midwife told me green tea is fine, just don't drink it around the time you take your prenatal vitamin since it can block the absorption of folic acid. I would caution on the lemon tea because of the rose hips. It's unknown if that herb is safe during pregnancy. Chamomile is an iffy one too. Peppermint, red raspberry, ginger, nettle leaf and rooibos are fine. Of course limit any caffeine. Here's a list of teas that are safe/unsafe: http://www.fitpregnancy.com/nutrition/prenatal-nutrition/tea-two

leew8372
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Quoting beachlove512:

My midwife told me green tea is fine, just don't drink it around the time you take your prenatal vitamin since it can block the absorption of folic acid. I would caution on the lemon tea because of the rose hips. It's unknown if that herb is safe during pregnancy. Chamomile is an iffy one too. Peppermint, red raspberry, ginger, nettle leaf and rooibos are fine. Of course limit any caffeine. Here's a list of teas that are safe/unsafe: http://www.fitpregnancy.com/nutrition/prenatal-nutrition/tea-two

mommy2casidee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:14 AM
I drink twinnings English breakfast tea every day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN