Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does everyone think I'm a teenager?!

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:36 PM
  • 13 Replies
Today i had a door to door salemans ring my doorbell.  When I answered the door, the first thing he asked was "Is your mom or dad home?" I couldn't help but laugh. Was this guy serious?  I'm due in 3 weeks and he automatically assumed i was a teenager? he gave me a weird look and I said, "I'm 23" He did a complete double take.  A few months ago i went to the movies with my friends to see a rated R movie and they carded me! You have to be like 17 to see a rated R movie! When i tried to tell him my age, he rolled his eyes like he thought i was lying until i showed him my military ID.  Now i don't look old, but i can't possibly look THAT young! My moms says it's flattering but to me it's not.  When your in your 40's and someone thinks your 20 something it's flattering, when you're in your 20's and someone thinks your 15 it's insulting.  I mean, do i REALLY look that young? (Pic below)
by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsLaher
by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:48 PM
I get it all the time and I'm 26.  My oldest is turning 9 next Sunday and I'm pregnant with # 3.  It bugs me, but I kinda get a kick out of people's shock when I tell them, "I'm 26, have 2 children and on my second marriage." LOL!  I just try to remind myself, if I keep a healthy lifestyle I will really look 20, ok 30, when I'm 40 hehe.

KeanynSymon
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:05 PM
Don't feel bad.  We had a leak in our plumbing and when the guy came by to fix it I was in the yard with my TWO boys AND a maternity shirt.  He just stood there at first and then said "uhh... do you live here?"  I have no idea why he asked if I lived there.. I guess he didn't know whether to ask for my parents or just start up like I was the adult haha! It was funny though!
lyndonsmom
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:27 PM

I get it all the time people think I am 15.  Once when I was catering for a movie, a guy asked me to see my work permit!  I was 18 at the time but he said I looked 12!  Everywhere I go people will say "that can't be your baby, you are way too young"  Honestly WTF people just shouldn't say things like that.  I am only 20 and very petite but I mean, I have a WEDDING RING!  People are nuts!

This was 3 months ago at dinner WITH MY HUBBY,  and the guy at the table (it was a japanesse place where there has to be 10 at a table)  asked my hubby how old his DAUGHTER WAS!  When my hubby introduced me to his commanders they again asked him how old his DAUGHTER was, we didn't have children!

helpless_kitten
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:42 PM
don't feel so bad I'm 23 and 5'11 and people think i'm about 30 i got out with my adoptive niece and brother and people think i'm their mother when my adoptive bro is 19 and my adoptive neice is 15 with her own baby at the time.
texmexmom
by on May. 8, 2007 at 12:00 AM
 oh, ENJOY it!!! I was 20 when I enlisted and wore ex short ex small!! Yes, i'm very petite well, not now but normally!! BUt I got the biggest kick out of getting carded for smokes, booze, lottery, movies!! yes, it's annoying sometimes but it's great!! I loved not only freaking thwem out about being of "legal" age but also being a soldier. id card and all!! lol  I'm 31 now and I STILL get carded and LOVE it!! Last year I got carded by some kid at our corner gas station. ANd he couldn't believe I was "that old" I showed him 2 forms of id's !! lol he asked if I was married and had kids. I said yes. He then said man your a REAL MILF!!! Surprised lol, I went home on cloud 9!!! I told dh I was just called a MILF!! Kiss  PS. the next time they ask if your mom is home say no and close the door!! lol I love doing that!! it's alot easier than saying I"m not interested a million times!!lol
sassylitmom
by on May. 8, 2007 at 8:59 AM

I am with u girl....I am 26 and everyone says I look 16.My mom and I will go out shopping and my daughter will be with us and they think my daughters is my moms daughter .I just tell myself when I turn 40 I will look 25 lol.....

lilmidget865
by on May. 8, 2007 at 11:17 AM
I'm with all of you! When I am out with my mom and son, they think she's his mother. I am young, but I'm 20, not 12. Everyone guesses I am 12-13. I am 5 feet and just not very big. I got the nastiest looks when I was pregnant too and now when I buy pg tests. I feel like putting a sign on my forehead saying "no, I am not as young as you think I am!"
WeezySueWong
by on May. 8, 2007 at 11:58 AM
Omg I totally know the feeling, I am showing with my pregnancy a lot and people just give me the strangest looks... I had one lady ask me the other day if my boyfriend was still around as if it were any of her business and I said "no but my husband of 2 years is" and she was surprised and then asked how old I was and I told her 21 and she was like "oh I thought you were only 15 or 16" that kinda ticked me off at first, but I got over it, I've gotten used to it.  The worst experience I've ever had was when I was 16 and me and my 26 year old cousin got told we had to leave a pg-13 movie because I wasn't old enough to be in there, and I hadn't gotten my drivers license or permit yet (I didn't get them till I was 17-18 cause I didn't feel comfortable about it yet) so I had no ID, my cousin then raised hell about it and so did I because we had already paid for the movie and we would have left just fine if they wouldn't have told us we couldn't get a refund for our tickets because I had gone into the movie underaged and I wasn't.  Other better cases when I was 15 and 16, I got into restaurants at kids prices cause I lied and said I was 11 or 12 and they believed me lol.
mimi30513
by on May. 8, 2007 at 12:23 PM
I WENT TO LUCH WITH MY BEST FRIEND AT PICADILLY'S & I LET HER GO FIRST. AFTER SHE ORDERED THEY ASKED IF HER DAUGHTER(ME) WAS GOING TO HAVE THE KIDS PLATE. MY FRIEND IS ONLY 3 YEARS OLDER THAN ME & YES I'M SHORT BUT MY GOSH.I FELT LIKE A KID & MY FRIEND FELT INCREDIBLY OLD. I TOLD HER I SHOULD HAVE SAID YEAH & SAVED A FEW BUCKS.Tongue out
gacgbaker
by on May. 8, 2007 at 4:25 PM
I have the same thing happen!  I am 24, but when I was pregnant with my first we (being hubby and I) went to go fill a prescription, and the pharmacist called it into the ins. company.  She came back with a weird look on her face and said, "well first they have the birth-date wrong, then second (she was talking to hubby) they have her listed as your spouse not your daughter."... It isn't like my hubby is that much older then me, only five years.  She was so embarrassed!  I used to really hate it when people mistook me for a teenager, but someday I know I will wish I looked younger then I am, so I guess you just have to take it how it comes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)