Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do we do with the dog? ...

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 13 Replies
Can someone tell me what we should do with our dog if I'm in labor for 10 or 12 hours? Will he be ok alone that long? He's only 11 months old... He's never been alone for that long since we've had him. What did you other dog owners do when you had your babies? Everyone who we would trust with a house key will be at the hospital.
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleH86
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I would be worried the poor baby would get anxiety and start to chew, and im sure you don't want to come home to that. Is he crate trained? I guess that would really be the only option.. thats what we did with ours when we left until someone could get there :)
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I would have someone check on him periodically.
VintageWife
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Why would every single person be at the hospital? I'm sure it's okay for them to leave every once in a while. You really don't need them there the entire labor...LOL!

chrissydan
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM
We had people come and check on the dog also our other thought would have been to ask a dog sitting service
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Oh, depending on time of day, mine will either be crated or playing outside. Hubby can run and check on them or my brother will. No big deal...lol

esox
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM
He should be alright in a crate for that long. If you are really worried about him maybe you could ask a family member to drop him off at the kennel before coming to the hospital. If your labor is 10-12 hours long chances are they wont miss anything. Plus its not like your SO will want to run home to let the dog out right after you give birth. Dropping him off at the kennel for a couple days might not be a bad idea so you dont have to worry about him at all.
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Our pup is crate trained so he was in his crate during my labor. But after our son was born and we were resting (seven goes later) hubby went home and walked him fed him and snuggled a bit. Then that night while hubby stayed with me and our son. Our mothers stayed at our apartment with our pup.
Larsbug
by Laura on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

someone can leave at some point and check on him...it's not really fair for him to be alone that long. Can you hire a pet sitter for the day to take him out and walk him and get some attention?

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM
My sisters let my dog out for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WillsMOM72
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I would never leave a dog alone that long unless they were outside. Maybe someone can make a quick trip home to check on your little puppy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured