Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Maternity question for all you working ladies! Please help!

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 184 Replies
2 moms liked this

So, I'm 5 1/2 preg. with no job. I've been a SAHW for the last year (mainly with no way to get a job, only 1 vehicle and Dh has been in the military and he needed the truck), now I'm in need of a job, nothing permanent, yet. Just to help us get out of some debt. Now, my question to you all is:

For those of you who get 2 weeks to a month of maternity leave, what will you do with baby when you have to go to work? Isn't a one month old baby too young for daycare? Do you pay close family members to watch your baby?

If I got a job now, I have no clue how I would take care of my baby after I had to go back to work.. This is my frist pregnancy.

Please help ladies, and please do not judge for me asking this (stupid) question, I'm new to all this!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I know that when I worked my doctor refused to release me to work for 4 to 6 weeks each time. Neither job (different jobs with different babies) would allow me back until I had been cleared. They were normal births, too.

nicole2884
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM
A lot of companies only give maternity leave if you've been with them for a year.
I would get a close friend or family members to help
krusesbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM

With my dd i took 12 weeks. That was enough time to establish breastfeeding and get into a schedule agreement to have baby nurse or leave to nurse her (i was less than a mi away from home). They had no issue.

With ds i was in school not working so didnt have to worry.

I was going to take 12 weeks again from this job but the lawyer i am working for is going in for cancer treatments so had to let everyone go :( so i will not be having to take maternity leave. You always want at least 4 weeks and if its a c section i think they say take 6 depending on how you're healing.

CafeMom Tickers
krusesbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Also, It is very difficult to get a job while pregnant. They will say its not the reason you werent hired but, imo, it is. I have been looking for a while knowing i'd be layd off and its been a no go. good luck though! hope you can find one, maybe  a holiday position then you would be done after baby is born and wouldnt have to worry about maternity leave.

corpswife523
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Quoting mem82:

I know that when I worked my doctor refused to release me to work for 4 to 6 weeks each time. Neither job (different jobs with different babies) would allow me back until I had been cleared. They were normal births, too.

Well when you were cleared, who did you get to care for your baby while back at work?
misstaylor85
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Most daycares wont accept kids younger then 6-8weeks. It wasn't a problem for me though because my grandparents and my mil keep my son. (they switch one week on one week off) IF you are unable to have family keep the baby until they are old enough to go to daycare I suggest finding an in home daycare center they are more lax about the age thing sometimes.

Karopie_99
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM
I worked 3rd shift. While my lil ones were sleeping I worked. But I was very very tired all the time. I had kids all day long after dinner SO would take over with the kids. I would sleep 2-3hrs and head off to work for the night. Childcare is expensive so we made it work. But he saw the toll it was taking on me, and I left work to sah with my kids. Life has been MUCH better! And I'm due with baby #4 in 32 days! My others are 12, 5&2
corpswife523
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Yeah I know, but I have to try. I'm also not applying for any "professional" career starting jobs. Part/full time retail/restaurant jobs.

Quoting krusesbaby:

Also, It is very difficult to get a job while pregnant. They will say its not the reason you werent hired but, imo, it is. I have been looking for a while knowing i'd be layd off and its been a no go. good luck though! hope you can find one, maybe  a holiday position then you would be done after baby is born and wouldnt have to worry about maternity leave.

tabby21
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM

with my first i wasnt cleared to back to work for 8 weeks (i tried like hell to let me go back) i never was in search of a job while pregnant but after i had peanut i only worked on sat. at the resturaunt for about 3 months while hubby watched him....when i changed jobs i work full time(even now im pregnant again) hubby stays home with peanut when he gets home from work and i go to work...I do NOT pay or LET ANYBODY watch my kid besides hubby....i do NOT TRUST anybody lol after this baby i do not plan on going back to work until both babies are in school unless i work something out with the boss and hubby

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

tabby21
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

with my csection they made me wait the whole 8 weeks...peanut was born 8/13/12 i didnt get cleared to go back to work until 10/14/12 docs told me if i had a vag. i would of only waited 6 weeks

Quoting krusesbaby:

With my dd i took 12 weeks. That was enough time to establish breastfeeding and get into a schedule agreement to have baby nurse or leave to nurse her (i was less than a mi away from home). They had no issue.

With ds i was in school not working so didnt have to worry.

I was going to take 12 weeks again from this job but the lawyer i am working for is going in for cancer treatments so had to let everyone go :( so i will not be having to take maternity leave. You always want at least 4 weeks and if its a c section i think they say take 6 depending on how you're healing.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN