Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Since there is such a debate on homebirthing (assisted or not) vs hospital births I thought I would share!

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this

First of all its really sad, its sad that women have to defend their choice to deliver at home assisted or non assisted. And its sad that we have to hear all the rediculous stories (scare tactics) as if we are uneduated about the risks.

But that is neither here nor there. I wanted to share for a second something I thought was interesting! Where I live there is a community of Amish, and a community of Muslims. Both of which are fed up with hospital birthing! In the Amish community they have for years now either birthed on their own, or brought in a Midwife from the outside. They have 8-10 babies easy, many are large 9-10 lbers. And they are rarely transferred to the hospital due to complications. More commonly they are transferred only due to premature labor. Hospitals scare these women!

Recently my midwife introduced me to a lady who was going to begin working with her. She is a muslim lady, fully covered. My midwife explained that she was practicing to become a midwife and wanted to know if I would allow her to attend my birth. Without hesitation I said sure. She is a sweetheart but has been turned away by some of the Amish, and some Christian women because of her faith. I look at it as an opportunity so it doesn't bother me. But what is extremely interesting is WHY she is becoming a midwife. There are multiple muslim communities here in va, they also have some large communities in NY, and another state she mentioned but I can't remember. In NY and the other state majority of the muslim women are having successful homebirths. In VA where they don't have a midwife within their community women are birthing at hospitals. They are having such high induction and c-section rates that the women are actually traveling away from their families to NY, and the other state to have homebirths. They are tired of what VA hospitals are doing to them, and they no longer feel safe. So this particular woman is trying to help by becoming a Midwife herself in order to help the women in her community have safe births.

Now what you have to keep in mind...these aren't statistics, these aren't articles, these are situations in different communities where homebirth is proving to be wanted, and the safest route. Where women are doing extreme things in order to avoid hospitals. Be against homebirth, that is fine. But don't bash women for their choice. Educate yourself on actual stories, not just horror stories that make you decide allowing a dr to cut you open is safe, but actual birth stories of women for decades that have had safe homebirths when hospitals became no longer safe for them!

I am sure this isn't going to solve anything, but as someone who has been told that I am a bad mother, putting my child's life at risk, etc I wanted to share. Because from my personal experience I was once a bad mother, did put two of my children's lives at risk, and I almost lost one because of it! Both where hospital births. So for me...hospital births are far more risky then homebirths!

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommylovesdada
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:47 PM
4 moms liked this
I hate how birth and pregnancy in general is considered a medical condition here! I use an ob but he is super laid back and always lets me call the shots. Women should birth however they choose.
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

That is great, and rare from my understanding!! I had a great OB with my first and third. Very nice guy, great since of humor. But he had to stick to hospital policy. He was very hands on. Rushed labor and delivery. Etc. And I very much disliked that feeling of no control. I had a hospital birthing midwife with my second. Which in my experience was absolutely no different then an ob except our visits lasted 30 min instead of 5 or 10. She literally almost killed my son. I have yet to have an experience where a hospital did anything to help me during my pregnancy or birth. Lord willing I will never need them to either. But I just feel safer outside of a hospital setting. In a hospital I constantly feel on edge, and on guard. Like I have to protect myself and my baby. At home I feel relaxed and in complete control! If I could find that in a hospital I absolutely would, if nothing else to have the two night catering too after delivery LOL

Quoting Mommylovesdada:

I hate how birth and pregnancy in general is considered a medical condition here! I use an ob but he is super laid back and always lets me call the shots. Women should birth however they choose.

MrsSexyCurtains
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I'd love to try a water birth at the hospital but my insurance doesn't cover it. My hospital experience was awesome so I can't complain there. I think as long as a mother is doing what's best for her and baby, then that's all that matters. I honestly love hearing about home and water births :).
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I didnt know insurances had a say when it came to delivering in a hospital. That is crazy! I know the hospital I delivered my first two kiddos had a policy against water birth. So you actually couldn't deliver in the water. You could labor in the water but they made you get out when it was time to push. I enjoy home and water birth stories too. Youtube is full of them :)

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

I'd love to try a water birth at the hospital but my insurance doesn't cover it. My hospital experience was awesome so I can't complain there. I think as long as a mother is doing what's best for her and baby, then that's all that matters. I honestly love hearing about home and water births :).

MrsSexyCurtains
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM
We're in the middle of no where and it sucks! Lol the hospital is so tiny it doesn't have a nicu. We live on base and I'm so tempted to have this baby back home in Texas. If you want a water birth you have to blow up a pool, hire a doula out of pocket and have your baby.

They only have one dr on call on weekends and a midwife. So I'm praying I give birth on a weekday lol.

Quoting NoraDun:

I didnt know insurances had a say when it came to delivering in a hospital. That is crazy! I know the hospital I delivered my first two kiddos had a policy against water birth. So you actually couldn't deliver in the water. You could labor in the water but they made you get out when it was time to push. I enjoy home and water birth stories too. Youtube is full of them :)

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM

The hospital I used with my other kiddos was an hour and 15 min away (the closest hospital to us) and it had a nicu, and lots of Drs with the practice. The hospital we are nearest to now is 5 min away but only has two drs and no nicu. So I can understand completely!

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

We're in the middle of no where and it sucks! Lol the hospital is so tiny it doesn't have a nicu. We live on base and I'm so tempted to have this baby back home in Texas. If you want a water birth you have to blow up a pool, hire a doula out of pocket and have your baby.

They only have one dr on call on weekends and a midwife. So I'm praying I give birth on a weekday lol.

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

kcangel63
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I might not have ever birthed unassisted if I wasn't forced into it. It wasn't any particular person that forced me. It was the anti midwife laws. I lived in KY. I had 2 choices: Hospital or Unassisted. I was not wanting to ever deal with another hospital birth, unless I have a medical reason that leaves me no other choice.

With that, I was thankful I had been studying for several years already. I continued to study, and still am to this day.

If women would stand up and SUPPORT each other (whether they agree or not), we wouldn't have to take such drastic measures.
iamnameless
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Our hospitals is a.level 2. The.hospital about 30 minutes away has a birthing center and a level 3 nicu. I would love to deliver at that birthing center and labor in the tub but I can't find a midwife that takes my insurance and delivers there but I am going to.keep looking. :-) I can't home birth because my husband would freak out.

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

NC is a anti midwife state. When I went on vacation my midwives warned if I went into labor I was on my own because they could lose everything and get jail time for practicing there. So where we got to the beach that means a 2-3 hr drive off the island for non emergency delivery. Its rediculous, and sad. I would of delivered in the beach house, but from my understand that is what many women are doing there. Unassisted homebirths. It is sad and its the way for the medical field to gain control. Push out homebirthing midwives, tell women they or their baby's will die if they deliver unassisted, and they are all set!

Quoting kcangel63:

I might not have ever birthed unassisted if I wasn't forced into it. It wasn't any particular person that forced me. It was the anti midwife laws. I lived in KY. I had 2 choices: Hospital or Unassisted. I was not wanting to ever deal with another hospital birth, unless I have a medical reason that leaves me no other choice.

With that, I was thankful I had been studying for several years already. I continued to study, and still am to this day.

If women would stand up and SUPPORT each other (whether they agree or not), we wouldn't have to take such drastic measures.

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM

My husband said the same thing until we almost lost our second son to hospital ignorance. Then with our daughter he said I could deliver at home but we couldnt find a midwife. He was not comfortable with an unassisted birth so we found an amazing Doula and planned a hospital birth. Well my daughter had other plans and we ended up with the most amazing unassisted homebirth. Now with our 4th child we have a homebirthing midwife, and after our in home visit my Husband said "Why cant we just have another unassisted birth" I had to remind him two kids ago he refused to even have a homebirth LOL. He saw first hand what the hospital did, and he no longer trusts them either. Its sad really! I mean its even to the point I would be scared to go in even if it was an emergency!

Quoting iamnameless:

Our hospitals is a.level 2. The.hospital about 30 minutes away has a birthing center and a level 3 nicu. I would love to deliver at that birthing center and labor in the tub but I can't find a midwife that takes my insurance and delivers there but I am going to.keep looking. :-) I can't home birth because my husband would freak out.

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

Quoting NoraDun:

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)