Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

World's most premature Baby

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM
  • 27 Replies

Amillia Sonja Taylor was born after spending just 21 weeks and six days in the womb - a full-term pregnancy lasts 37 to 40 weeks (Image: Baptist Children's Hospital)

Amillia Sonja Taylor was born after spending just 21 weeks and six days in the womb - a full-term pregnancy lasts 37 to 40 weeks (Image: Baptist Children's Hospital)

World's most premature baby set to leave hospital

A premature baby only slightly longer than a ballpoint pen at birth was due to be sent home in the coming days from a US hospital after four months of neonatal intensive care, the hospital said on Tuesday.

The Baptist Children's Hospital in Miami, Florida, said Amillia Sonja Taylor was born at 21 weeks and six days on 24 October 2006, making her possibly the most premature baby on record to survive.

The claim was based on the University of Iowa's registry of the tiniest babies. The university bases its registry on media reports and medical journal reports and says it does not attempt to verify the information submitted by contributors.

Amillia weighed just under 283.5 grams (10 ounces) and measured 24.13 cm (9.5 inches) in length when she was born.

The tiny baby had been scheduled to go home on Tuesday but doctors "decided to keep her for a few more days observation", according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Conceived by in vitro fertilisation, she was delivered via Caesarean section after attempts to delay a premature delivery failed, the hospital said. She breathed without assistance at birth and even tried to cry.

"She's truly a miracle baby," said Dr. William Smalling, a neonatologist at Baptist Children's Hospital. "We didn't even know what a normal blood pressure is for a baby this small."

A full-term pregnancy is 37 to 40 weeks. Babies born at less than 23 weeks and 400 grams (14.11 ounces) in weight are not considered viable, and 70% of all babies born at 23 weeks die, according to the US National Institutes of Health. Premature babies are also far more likely to suffer physical problems than are babies carried to term.

"It may be that we need to reconsider our standard for viability in light of Amillia's case," Smalling said in a hospital statement. "Over the years, the technology that we have available to save these premature babies has improved dramatically."

How awesome is that!!!

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elly.H
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Gods little mirical! Sounds pretty amazing :-) im glad you shared this
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM
How old is this? Did she have to stay in the hospital for almost 7 years?
SoInLove515
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM
wow! Amazing.
Schizomom91
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Wow! Miracle baby
Genesis29
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

wow that is crazy, my nephew was born at 24 weeks in half,  he was so tiny and hes 6yrs now, god little miracles!

babie113
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM

im pretty sure this is old news like 2007 old news she was sent home in 07...shes still doing pretty well from what i gather ...little fighter .i was a 24 weeker in 1984 .24w.2d. i was 1lb i think its amazing she survived .i have a cousin who was born at exacly 23 weeks  and shes now 12 or 13  its amazing but i feel so bad for the babies and parents of babies who done make it or come just a few days too soon .:( seven of my cousins were lost because of prematurity all between 24/29 weeks .it seems to run in my family (preE) that is

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Yes it is, she was born in 06 but I guess she is still the smallest premature baby to survive so I thought it was neat and worth sharing!

Quoting babie113:

im pretty sure this is old news like 2007 old news she was sent home in 07...shes still doing pretty well from what i gather ...little fighter .i was a 24 weeker in 1984 .24w.2d. i was 1lb i think its amazing she survived .i have a cousin who was born at exacly 23 weeks  and shes now 12 or 13  its amazing but i feel so bad for the babies and parents of babies who done make it or come just a few days too soon .:( seven of my cousins were lost because of prematurity all between 24/29 weeks .it seems to run in my family (preE) that is

spitfire.mommy
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Awe that's awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nirvana78028
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:26 AM
My nephews were born in 2008 at just 17 weeks gestation. They were triplets. One survived and is now a healthy active 4 almost 5 yr old. It happens more often than ppl think not all of them are in the news though.
azn_ladie82
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:07 AM

As a mom of two former preemies...this is awesome news :-) What a little fighter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN