Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

No measuring? Anyone else have that happen?- BUMP

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:36 AM
  • 16 Replies
Hi, so my former foster sister is due Oct. 2. She's a little slow, but not so much where she's not capable of understanding things. Truth is she likes being treated like a child so she acts like one. About 2 months ago she told me the dr. scheduled her for a c-section at 39 weeks & asked if I could take her. This past week he was to do an u/s & a pelvic exam to check for dilation but was too busy. He told her to come back on Oct. 1st if she hasn't had the baby. Her sister's been going with her & she's not the brightest either, & she told me the dr. doesn't measure her. They said the only thing he does is listen for the heartbeat. I'm speechless. I've never carried a baby past 35 weeks but I always was measured. I think she's been having a contraction here & there, but honestly she hasn't been interested in educating herself the whole pregnancy & seems as clueless as they come. I've tried to help but honestly am frustrated with her lack of interest in what's going on when she deliberately got pregnant. Anyway, is the fact that she's never been measured beyond an u/s & doesn't know if she's dilated a reason to be concerned? UPDATE: Thanks, ladies. I just thought it was important to be measured. I remember reading that it was okay to measure 2 weeks ahead or 2 weeks behind. When I started measuring behind some I knew something was wrong & that's how I found out my fluid was starting to decrease. The dr. has done a couple of ultrasounds on her other than the big one but I don't think one has been done recently. BUMP: Just wanted to add that it's the 1st time I've ever had or seen a featured post without a bunch of replies. LOL. Well I think I'll go with her on Tuesday to the dr. appt & if he decides to induce (she'll be 40 weeks) I'll ask for that Friday, since she doesn't have a ride or anything to get there.
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:52 AM
Id be a bit confused if she isnt being measured, maybe they just didnt realize the doc was doing it? Sometimes it was done fast and if i was talking i didnt pay much attention

As for dilation i wouldnt be concerned there. I wasnt checked at all with my first pregnancy until my water broke. Its really not relevant anyway, she could be dilated to two cm for a month before labor starts...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Georgie2
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:37 AM
Until I switched Doctors I was never measured the traditional way. My previous OB did all the measurements via ultrasound, which is how I understand its most commonly done in Europe now. If she's been getting u/s' regularly they're probably taking measurements then.
TheyAreMyLoves
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM
I am 29 weeks and have only been measured once. I'm not concerned.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I don't know, but I can understand your frustraition. My SIL was labeled mildly MR and when she got pregnant I tried to educate her about pregnancy, breastfeeding, and her baby! And she just wasn't interested. She likes to play dumb, boy did she learn how to use up the check the government gave her on everything but stuff for her little one though!

I would agree with lillucky, they probably are doing it and she just doesn't know what you mean by it, or they don't understand what they are doing.

cuppycake91
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM

With DD I was only measured once, and so far this pregnancy haven't been measured at all. They did do measurments of the baby at my 12 week US and 19 week US though.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

The only measured me once with previous pregnancies

mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Yeah I'm so frustrated with her.  She ahs no clue & doesn't seem to be concerned with how little she knows.  I really don't think she's being measured because her sister is there watching & when I mentioned a tape measure the other day she said it would have to be big enough to go all around her.

Quoting NoraDun:

I don't know, but I can understand your frustraition. My SIL was labeled mildly MR and when she got pregnant I tried to educate her about pregnancy, breastfeeding, and her baby! And she just wasn't interested. She likes to play dumb, boy did she learn how to use up the check the government gave her on everything but stuff for her little one though!

I would agree with lillucky, they probably are doing it and she just doesn't know what you mean by it, or they don't understand what they are doing.

SylviaNCali
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

I remember being measured a few times. But the way my ob has done it is she does a ultra sound and looks at the fluids there.

CafeMom Tickers
jenaree
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM

do you mean measure fundal height or doing cervical checks? My Dr. doesn't do cervical checks unless really necessary and they have only ever done the fundal height measurement 2 or 3 times in three pregnancies.

SaratheV
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I was never measured firing my first pregnancy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)