Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

A little advice on constipation haha

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am obessed with staying regular.  You can blame my clinical nutrition teacher from way back when for that one.  Did you know that if you don't stay regular that your body can start absorb that shit---literally?  

Being pregnant can stop us up.  It really sucks.  So, I started making home made apple bran muffins.  I don't have a recipe but I can give a little ingredient advice.  I have celiac so I have to be gluten free.  I bought some apple fiber---it's one cheap thing you will find a healthfood store.  Also dirt cheap, is rice bran.  This stuff is loaded with fiber and the nutrients we need while our babies are growing.  And of course, oat bran, and flax. Or a little added flour I use sorghum.  

You never want to overload your body with fiber because it can have adverse reactions, but if you use small quantities of everything they all work together and you have some guilt free treats.  Bran muffins have been getting a bad rap lately, but that's because the recipes people are referring to aren't really that healthy.  

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I eat a spoonful if molasses daily. It boosts my iron, and it's a laxative.
cem9532
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM
As much as i love my zofran when i need it, the constipation that comes from it is awful. Defenitly can use your advice. Thanks
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM

With my first two I tired so many different things. Nothing changed the fact that I was constipated. My third I never had an issue. Actually at the end for 8 weeks I had the runs. The joys or pregnancy.

rwcw89
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I usually eat a few prunes and within a couple hours things get moving. That reminds me I should pack some for vacation
mila20
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Heard veggies and fiber can help
sugarcrisp
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

If you don't defecate regularly the water from the feces is reabsorbed, not the feces itself. This can lead to severe constipation and even impaction, which can be deadly.

I hate bran anything and it doesn't matter how much water I drink, I've been relatively stopped up a good portion of this pregnancy. Because of that, I eat grapes every other day (or cherries) to help keep me regular.

sugarcrisp
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Too much fiber can also cause constipation.

Quoting mila20:

Heard veggies and fiber can help

Mittenmommie
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Warm apple juice works for me! Or I just take my prenatal every other day and then I'm back to normal.
ilovemykids732
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I am regular in that department... every day I poop!! :)

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Me too! It's great! My digestion has been so finicky this pregnancy. I have IBS and gallbladder issues. I have a huge list of foods I can't eat. I pretty much went grain free because of it. I now only eat a little corn now and then and a little rice. I eat primal now ;).

Quoting kcangel63:

I eat a spoonful if molasses daily. It boosts my iron, and it's a laxative.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)