laughingOrgasmic birth. Every single time I hear that term, I find myself thinking back to my own son's delivery -- and the fact that there was nothing remotely orgasmic or pleasurable about it (other than getting the baby at the end of the whole ordeal).

But I'm sure plenty of moms-to-be find the idea of climaxing while pushing out a baby appealing. It will be of particular interest to them to hear that laughing may lead to having an orgasm during birth -- especially if you know how to use it to your advantage.

Let me explain.

There is a belief that if a pregnant woman trains herself to use laughter as a means of coping with the (excruciating) sensations of labor and delivery as opposed to moaning and groaning -- those fits of the giggles can actually help push her over the edge to achieve the big "O."

Laughing reduces blood pressure and helps the body produce more oxytocin, which relaxes the cervix. It also helps block pain messages to the brain, so I guess it really does make sense that it would help ease some of the symptoms of labor. And apparently if you're feeling less stressed and aren't tightening up during contractions, it makes the possibility of having an orgasm more likely? (At least that's how I'm interpreting this info.)

Huh. So, yeah -- this sort of makes sense, but the whole idea of birth and sexual pleasure going hand in hand still kind of freaks me out a little. I guess it's just tough for me to imagine getting all hot and bothered in the midst of bringing my child into the world, but hey -- more power to you if you want to let loose and go for it.

And if you are into the orgasmic birth thing, maybe using laughter as a means of attempting it really is the best route to take. Something tells me in addition to being pleasurable, having an orgasm in the delivery room is a little on the hilarious side. (Especially if no one around you knows the sensation you're experiencing.)

I mean, bursting into uncontrollable laughter sure beats slamming your fist down on the bed and yelling, "YES! YES! YES!" over and over again, right?

So there you have it. If you want to get your orgasm on while giving birth, all you need to do is train yourself to crack up every time you feel the next contraction coming, and you'll be in a state of pure ecstasy in no time. (Sure sounds easy enough.)

Have you thought about aiming for an orgasmic birth?

Image via ButterflySha/Flickr