Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

To those of you that have or have had high blood pressure

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM
  • 22 Replies

A few weeks back I check my blood pressure because i wasn't feeling well and was at the store so i checked it.  It was 134/74.  Not really high but way higher than the norm for me.  It was slightly high at the doc yesterday.  I think it was 130/83.  Tonight at the store it was 138/77.  My ob said there is nothing really we can do expect watch it and if it goes really high I will be on bed rest and/or in the hospital.  My feet are really swollen tonight and my hands are slightly swollen, which they were not yesterday and there was no protein in my urine yesterday either.  At what point do i worry.

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
N_maricle
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM
How far along are you?
mama91605
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM

34 weeks

Quoting N_maricle:

How far along are you?

N_maricle
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I had the same problem my first pregnency. At the end I swelled really badly and my blood pressure went up close to borderline for pre-eclampsia. They will probably keep an eye on it, and if it gets too high they might induce you. Right now it's not too high though. My advice is to drink plenty of water, keep up with healthy exercise if possible and eat as healthy as possible. Try to relax and avoid stress:) good luck!
mama91605
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I have been walking as much as possible.  I have a home daycare and 3 girls of my own, so avoiding stress is not really all that possible, lol.  I only drink water a unsweet tea here and there, so i am good there.  He said that unless it goes over 160/100 there isn't anything that can be done really.  I am also trying for a vba3c so i really don't want to be induced early, however he said that if it stays constantly higher that they like to induce around 39 weeks.

Quoting N_maricle:

I had the same problem my first pregnency. At the end I swelled really badly and my blood pressure went up close to borderline for pre-eclampsia. They will probably keep an eye on it, and if it gets too high they might induce you. Right now it's not too high though. My advice is to drink plenty of water, keep up with healthy exercise if possible and eat as healthy as possible. Try to relax and avoid stress:) good luck!

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM
My blood pressure was much lower at the beginning of each pregnancy, low enough to cause dizzy spells occasionally. After 32 weeks with m first my blood pressure began creeping up close to what is considered high. I ended up on bedrest a week later due to IUGR, then they added PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension), and low fluid. I was induced at 37 weeks and she was 4lbs 15oz. I do believe she was behind on growth then I got a stomach bug at 32 weeks and she ended up 3 weeks behind. But my belly was also measuring small with my blood pressure in the 130s/80s or even 140s/90s. I was sent to l&d so many times. So glad we both came out ok.
My second baby my blood pressure wasn't bad till after I delivered her, I've been on blood pressure meds since having my first.
mama91605
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Mine was low in the beginning as well. I was measuring way ahead at 30 weeks so I had a sono at 33 weeks and she measured 5.5lbs. I measured at 36 weeks yesterday at my 34 wk appoint so it is much better than the 7 weeks ahead. He did say I have gestational hypertension and said there is nothing that can be done about it unless it gets really high.

Quoting Kellileanne:

My blood pressure was much lower at the beginning of each pregnancy, low enough to cause dizzy spells occasionally. After 32 weeks with m first my blood pressure began creeping up close to what is considered high. I ended up on bedrest a week later due to IUGR, then they added PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension), and low fluid. I was induced at 37 weeks and she was 4lbs 15oz. I do believe she was behind on growth then I got a stomach bug at 32 weeks and she ended up 3 weeks behind. But my belly was also measuring small with my blood pressure in the 130s/80s or even 140s/90s. I was sent to l&d so many times. So glad we both came out ok.

My second baby my blood pressure wasn't bad till after I delivered her, I've been on blood pressure meds since having my first.
Luvmy2babies22
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:41 AM
I went on bedrest at 33w with my first. My bp was perfect all thru my pg but then I went in for my usual appt and an hour later was cleaning my desk out 4 weeks earlier than planned. It stayed high until I was induced at 38w. Mine was much higher than yours though. I knew it was bad cuz I had a headache I couldn't get rid of for 24 hours before the appt.

My bp hovered my entire 2nd pg but I think it was more from fear of more bedrest with a 2 year old.

Pay attention to the signs but try not to worry. Rest as much as you can and just keep an eye on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama91605
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I am trying to rest as much as i can, lol, but I have 3 girls 8, 4 and 2 and a home daycare.  I have also been trying to walk as much as i can just help me feel better.   I am hoping it doesnt become a problem because i am trying for a vba3c and being induce will not help me achieve that.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I went on bedrest at 33w with my first. My bp was perfect all thru my pg but then I went in for my usual appt and an hour later was cleaning my desk out 4 weeks earlier than planned. It stayed high until I was induced at 38w. Mine was much higher than yours though. I knew it was bad cuz I had a headache I couldn't get rid of for 24 hours before the appt.

My bp hovered my entire 2nd pg but I think it was more from fear of more bedrest with a 2 year old.

Pay attention to the signs but try not to worry. Rest as much as you can and just keep an eye on it.

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM
My dr doesn't become concerned until it reaches 140/90 consistently or if there are growth/fluid issues (normally low with hypertension).

Quoting mama91605:

Mine was low in the beginning as well. I was measuring way ahead at 30 weeks so I had a sono at 33 weeks and she measured 5.5lbs. I measured at 36 weeks yesterday at my 34 wk appoint so it is much better than the 7 weeks ahead. He did say I have gestational hypertension and said there is nothing that can be done about it unless it gets really high.

Quoting Kellileanne:

bebcarroll
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM

My doctor told me they want me to call if it is over 160/110. Also if I have up right quadrant pain.  (pain just below your ribs on the right side)A bad headache.  Swelling in my hands or face. 

She told me to rest and drink lots of fluids (which to me seems counter intuitive, but the more fluid you put in the more your body can flush out.) She said that if I feel winded I am doing too much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)