Who knew Morena Baccarin, who plays Ageny Brody's awesome wife, Jessica, onHomeland, was so hip?

Apparently, the 34-year-old Brazilian actress, who should be giving birth any day now, has bypassed the traditional blues, pinks, and light greens of popularnursery decor to fill her baby's room with a heavy metal-inspired skull and crossbones.

Crazy?

Or crazy awesome? 

Baccarin has kept mum on the gender of her baby, which is even more fun because we get to imagine this alternative and slightly spooky decoration placed in either a little boy's or girl's room. Before we criticize the actress for filling what's supposed to be a serene and calming environment with something we associate with horror films, remember that skulls didn't always have bad connotations. In some ancient cultures people would even wear them for protection and to ward off bad spirits. So maybe Baccarin is on to something. 

Parents are deviating so far from traditional nurseries these days that I didn't even bat an eyelash at Baccarin's decor choice. I've come across everything from Where the Wild Things Are-themed nurseries -- talk about spooky! -- to Lord of the Rings nurseries and  octopus-themed nurseries -- no other sea creatures, just octopuses. Let's face it, nurseries are created with themes and items in mind that soothe mom and dad just as much as we think and hope they will soothe baby. Even before baby's first birthday party, nurseries let us express ourselves and pass on what we love to our children. 

There's nothing wrong with decorating a nursery with skulls and bones if you find beauty and a source of comfort in these items. I personally love Morena's idea and am kind of hoping she has a girl, which would make her nursery even more bad-ass. 

What do you think about Morena's skulls and bones nursery? 

Image Via gingerpig2000/Flickr