Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hip Flexor Pain

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm 8w6d pg.  My right hip flexor is killing me (in the front where my leg and torso meet).  It was a little sore before I found out I was pg and I think I may have done something minor while working out.  Since my bfp it's gotten worse.  I'm a side sleeper and if I sleep on my right side, eventually the weight of my body starts bothering my hip.  If I sleep on my left side, eventually gravity starts causing pain in my hip.  I try to sleep on my back or stomach BUT eventually those will not be an option anymore due to the pg.

I'm guessing the Relaxin is probably making things worse...  I'm contemplating seeing a sports doctor but I feel like the only way to check into it is via x-ray and I don't like the idea of an x-ray in an area so close to the baby.

Has anyone experienced this type of pain?  Did you need any treatment?  How did you handle it at home?

TIA!!

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM
You can sleep in any position that is comfortable, including stomach and back, no matter how far along you are. If you're comfy, you're not doing any harm.
Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Quoting Pandapanda:

You can sleep in any position that is comfortable, including stomach and back, no matter how far along you are. If you're comfy, you're not doing any harm.

it's been a while since i was pg but i thought you weren't supposed to sleep on your back in later pg cuz the weight of your uterus can compress something important... 

EvrybodysFriend
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Yes sleeping flat on your back is no good. The weight of the uterus and everything in it cuts off good circulation later in pregnancy.
As far the hip goes, story of my pregnant life. Try some stretching, try sleeping with something supportive between your legs and take it easy. My hips ALL around have been killing me since 1st trimester. No treatment. Your hips are making room. Hope that helps some

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting Pandapanda:

it's been a while since i was pg but i thought you weren't supposed to sleep on your back in later pg cuz the weight of your uterus can compress something important... 

Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:06 PM
I will try a pillow between my legs and see if that helps. Just seems crazy to be dealing with pains so early. I'm sorry you are in pain too.

Quoting EvrybodysFriend:

Yes sleeping flat on your back is no good. The weight of the uterus and everything in it cuts off good circulation later in pregnancy.

As far the hip goes, story of my pregnant life. Try some stretching, try sleeping with something supportive between your legs and take it easy. My hips ALL around have been killing me since 1st trimester. No treatment. Your hips are making room. Hope that helps some

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EvrybodysFriend
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Yeah it does, doesn't it? This is my third and every pregnancy my hips started hurting very soon. But this pregnancy has been the worst for it I think lol. But yes for some of is it starts very soon and others either don't notice or starts later. Everything is moving and readjusting for the pregnancy and labor.
Thanks. I am sorry that you are hurting too. It isn't fun at all :(

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I will try a pillow between my legs and see if that helps. Just seems crazy to be dealing with pains so early. I'm sorry you are in pain too.

Quoting EvrybodysFriend:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM
See again where I said: If it's COMFORTABLE it isn't doing any harm.

I doubt cutting off your circulation is comfy. Also, your brain would have you move/roll in your sleep long before any damage was done.

Quoting EvrybodysFriend:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I never had this with my other 2 which is why I think it was something I had first and pg is making it worse.  I had terrible RLP with my 2nd though.  I carried her low and by 20-25w I couldn't even walk my son 3/4 of a mile to the park and back because the pain was so bad when I got home.

It's so hard to be us ;)

Quoting EvrybodysFriend:

Yeah it does, doesn't it? This is my third and every pregnancy my hips started hurting very soon. But this pregnancy has been the worst for it I think lol. But yes for some of is it starts very soon and others either don't notice or starts later. Everything is moving and readjusting for the pregnancy and labor.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting EvrybodysFriend:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Common misconception. Sleeping comfortably is more important than a blanket "rule" that rarely applies to anyone.

(I was on track to become a midwife before getting pregnant with my third baby.)

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Luvmy2babies22
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I might be wrong but I thought it was circulation to the baby, not the mother...

Quoting Pandapanda:

See again where I said: If it's COMFORTABLE it isn't doing any harm.

I doubt cutting off your circulation is comfy. Also, your brain would have you move/roll in your sleep long before any damage was done.

Quoting EvrybodysFriend:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting Pandapanda:

EvrybodysFriend
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Oh wow! What has your doc said about all of it? Or have you seen the doc just yet? That just is horribly painful! Having that issue with this one even while at complete rest. So on top of that....lol I seriously almost dropped to the ground at the grocery store yesterday because of my right hip. I just made one step and the pain felt like a sword (or something equally sharp lol) was going up through my hip and waist and threw me off balance. Maybe a bit dramatic but it was pretty painful.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I never had this with my other 2 which is why I think it was something I had first and pg is making it worse.  I had terrible RLP with my 2nd though.  I carried her low and by 20-25w I couldn't even walk my son 3/4 of a mile to the park and back because the pain was so bad when I got home.

It's so hard to be us ;)

Quoting EvrybodysFriend:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting EvrybodysFriend:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting Pandapanda:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)