Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone have their baby at 41-42 weeks? UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 60 Replies

Hi, I take my foster sister to the dr. on Thursday. She'll be 40 weeks, 1 day then. My mom wants the dr. to deliver the baby already. He's supposed to do an u/s & check that day, but who knows. If he's busy he probably won't. He went from seeing her every week at 36 weeks back to apparently every 2 weeks at 38 weeks. I would hate for her to keep waiting & something go wrong. Plus, I'm not sure how she's going to get to the hospital or anything like (who'll be with her, she needs someone with her) that if she doesn't have the baby this week. Anyway, anyone deliver after 40 weeks & was everything okay?

UPDATE:  Let me clarify.  I KNOW that 40 weeks isn't an expiration date.  I'm only concerned because I've read on here multiple times where some women who went after 40 weeks had complications with their babies & some died.  I know tragedies can happen anytime, but when I read their stories I often think that if they'd had their babies a little earlier they'd still be here, especially when they went in at 40 weeks and the baby was fine. 

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RhondaVeggie
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM
40 weeks is not an expiration date, especially with first babies who typically come 8 days after the supposed due date. My first was born at 41+4 and my second at 41+5 and they're both perfectly healthy.
Clemency3
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM

yes..u can go to 42 wks and usually at that point they are wanting to induce and what not. I would have gone to 41 and a half weeks with my first but my doctor didn't educate me enough and tell me I could have gone home. He just induced me just shy of 41 wks. 

CafeMom Tickers
spitfire.mommy
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM
A lot of women go past 40wks and have perfectly healthy babies. The due date is just an estimation of when baby "could" come. Not an expiration date that says baby must be born now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tammy_lynne
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM

My son was induced at 41 weeks, and my body didn't take to the meds... So he came out the day he was 42 weeks. He just wasn't ready until then. 

YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I went 41w 6d with one of mine. I know someone who delivered every one of her 8 children between 42 and 44 weeks.
cheetah90210
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I went 42 and still had to be induced
kLynch315
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Her due date is just a 'guess' really and should not be taken literal. My first baby was 2 weeks late and all was fine. I was uncomfortable but that is about it. All of my kids have been late, actually.

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM

3 out of 5 of my children were delivered after 40wks and everything was great!  DD1-40.3wks, DD2-42wks & DD4-40.1wk. If baby's hanging in there it's for a reason =0)

mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM

BUMP!

Barbiedoll137
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM
My ds was born at 43 weeks and perfectly healthy! 6lbs 15 oz
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)