Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I don't understand why I am gaining weight so fast

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 29 Replies
I'm 20 weeks pregnant and I've gained 13 lb so far.

In the past 6 weeks though I've gained it all. I hasn't gained anything before that because I was so sick. I don't get how someone gains 13 lb in 6 weeks. I am not doing anyhing differently. I'm not eating more, I don't drink pop, I don't eat fast food. I don't know why this is happening but it has me even more depressed :( I don't know what to do to steady my weight gain

EDIT: I weighed myself today and I'm down 3 lb the other day when I weighed in it must of been bloat lol so I have gained 10 pounds so far
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clemency3
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM

you're going to gain weight..regardless. It's not just your own body weight but weight from placenta, fluids and baby. 

When you were sick did you lose weight? I know I lost 15 pounds the first 5 months with my first. So if you lost weight some of that 13 pounds isn't really gaining weight..just making up for what you lost and maybe then some. I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

CafeMom Tickers
CelestialSong
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM

That's how much I gained in the first trimester alone with my daughter. I ended up only gaining about 25lbs total though. This time around my weight went up more slowly, but then I had almost a 10lb jump between 24 and 28 weeks! I'm 33 weeks now and have only gained about 3 more since then. It's not always slow and steady.

Rockabella
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I lost a few pounds so I did gain a little of what I had back. My doctor told me to aim a gaining 15-25 pounds because I'm overweight. I was 158 and now I'm 171

Quoting Clemency3:

you're going to gain weight..regardless. It's not just your own body weight but weight from placenta, fluids and baby. 

When you were sick did you lose weight? I know I lost 15 pounds the first 5 months with my first. So if you lost weight some of that 13 pounds isn't really gaining weight..just making up for what you lost and maybe then some. I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

Rockabella
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM
My doctor and the nurses were kinda snarky about my weight gain my last appt because I'm only supposed to gain 15-25

Quoting CelestialSong:

That's how much I gained in the first trimester alone with my daughter. I ended up only gaining about 25lbs total though. This time around my weight went up more slowly, but then I had almost a 10lb jump between 24 and 28 weeks! I'm 33 weeks now and have only gained about 3 more since then. It's not always slow and steady.

Clemency3
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I was overweight at the begining as well. I ate smaller portion sizes, drank more water than normal..so I am downing a gallon of water a day now. When I was around 20 wks I was at like a gallon and a half of water a day. That was about all I could fester up in water consumption. I have only gained so far 10 pounds this pregnancy. There was a jump where I had gained 13 pounds but since then have lost a few. If you weigh yourself at one appointment in the morning...and then the next app. in the afternoon that will also increase your weight. You weigh more in the afternoon than you do in the morning. So try to make your appointments at the same time every time. 

Quoting Rockabella:

I lost a few pounds so I did gain a little of what I had back. My doctor told me to aim a gaining 15-25 pounds because I'm overweight. I was 158 and now I'm 171

Quoting Clemency3:

Okie-chick
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Luckily for now I've maintained weight. But I know I'll gain towards the end. I lost a lot of weight when pregnant with my daughter and gained a little back. I was lucky with her. I was huge with my middle son and didnt gain so much with my oldest son. I wouldn't worry about it. Say something to the nurse if she's being snotty with you.
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Sounds like the baby's just having a "growth spurt". Don't put so much pressure on yourself over the numbers on the scale, just remember your body is nurishing a growing life and doing what it has to do. 

stepconfused182
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:42 PM

The extra fluid, blood volume, placenta and baby are all contributing to your weight gain. If you think that's a lot so far, wait until the last trimester where the bulk of the weight gain comes from!

Rockabella
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM
My last pregnancies I had gained 32, 27 and 25 total but I was only overweight at the beginning of this one and my last one :(

Quoting stepconfused182:

The extra fluid, blood volume, placenta and baby are all contributing to your weight gain. If you think that's a lot so far, wait until the last trimester where the bulk of the weight gain comes from!

RaisinGirl78
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I put on a lot of weight when I'm pregnant. With my other pregnancies I gained 55-60lbs. This pregnancy seems to be going the same way. I started out at 105. I'm 12 weeks & I've gained 20lbs already. I eat healthy & exercise so I'm not stressing. Congrats on your new lil one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)