Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my baby Dr has no babies...

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:14 AM
  • 67 Replies
my Dr is moving into a new office, the office has been empty recently so we got to chatting, I had that super annoying glucose test so I had time, it was lunch time so the staff was gone just me and her in the office. We were talking about my Dh and how he's gone on vacation to Norway, and how that was why I missed my last appointment. And how I left town to visit family so my family could spoil me. then the kids topic came up she said she didn't have any kids of her own, and how it just wasn't a possibility for her. We kept chatting about other non medical things. Later it hit me, why did I assume she had kids...??? Does not having kids impact her ObGyn capabilities - I'd say no but maybe others disagree...???

Would a female ObGyn with no kids influence your decision in picking them as your Dr? Tell me why or why not. I'm.curious as to what others think

Update...... From reading the responses I see some of you prefer midwives who have experienced child birth. As to where the ones who use doctors said, having children or.being male wouldn't matter to them, or not having children would probably be a plus for availability.

Very interesting glad I asked the question =)
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Allinorder
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:49 AM

How do you not know she just graduated med school? What if the OB cannot have kids? I never asked my OB if they had kids or not. I think if they did not it would not matter. As long as I got good medical care would be my only concern.

JessiFaye
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM
That has nothing to do with his or her ability to be a doctor. There are all kinds of reasons why people don't have children.
YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:39 AM
No. I had a midwife deliver one of mine without children. Not a big deal to me.
lillucky8
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:43 AM
My ob didnt have kids. Didnt bother me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeweledolphin
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM

My OB has 2 kids...and if she didnt it still wouldn't bother me because she was just so great. I'msure there are also doctors out there with kids , who aren't so great and caring.

livingforthem83
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM
I have a male doctor, but he has his 2 children's pictures all over his wall. It wouldn't impact my decision at all if my ob didn't have kids.
Karopie_99
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM
She went to school and went through everything she needed to do to become properly licensed etc.So I don't see why having children or not having children would make a difference? I mean maybe you think she can sympathize with you more because she is a female and knows what its like to go through the process? Idk my ob is a female, she has no children and she is a lesbian. I don't think any of that makes her any better or any worse of a doctor
New.OrleansLady
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Wouldn't bother me

There are Male obgyn's who obviously don't experience pregnancy and aren't married with kids either.
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM
No
MommyRJ
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
I don't think it matters. There's tons of male obs and obviously they've never given birth....

I will saw of all my Obs I've had, my current one that has 4 kids, close in age is the one I relate with most.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured