Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

To anyone who has quit smoking 'cold turkey'.

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 36 Replies

How long did it take for the cravings to go away? Did you cut back first, or quit all at once?

pregnancy due date
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PyschMeh
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

BUMP!

Bailee2b
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I quit cold turkey the day I found out I was pregnant. It took a couple weeks for most of the cravings to disappear but it wasn't hard after the 3rd day. I still have cravings every now and then 3 months later and probably always will.
tammy_lynne
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I've talked to people that haven't smoked for years, and they still get cravings. 

I cut down and quit around the 2 month mark. I think it helped a lot with the cravings. I have a lot of respect for the people that can quit "Cold turkey". 

lesalmi
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM
I still get cravings now and then. But it took about 3-4 days for the Nic fits to stop.
PyschMeh
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I had cut back first, but I'm thinking now that probably wasn't the best plan. I should have stopped all together, today is day 2 without any, and I'm going crazy :/ I feel like maybe I dragged it out, made it harder or something lol.

Quoting Bailee2b:

I quit cold turkey the day I found out I was pregnant. It took a couple weeks for most of the cravings to disappear but it wasn't hard after the 3rd day. I still have cravings every now and then 3 months later and probably always will.

pregnancy due date
MommyRJ
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I gave myself 6 weeks to cut down and then just quit. All 3 babies now. This time was harder. Its been 7 months and its still hard.

I drank a lot of stuff with ice. Chewed the ice.
PyschMeh
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Well, I'm on day 2 today. Maybe I can do this if it's only a few days before the hardest part is over...

Quoting lesalmi:

I still get cravings now and then. But it took about 3-4 days for the Nic fits to stop.

pregnancy due date
lauren.m
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM
I did nicotine free electronic cigarettes for a while. It worked for me. Good luck quitting is so hard.
PyschMeh
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I didn't quit with my first two. I was an idiot. I had no one encouraging me to do so either, my ex husband could care less that I smoked. But this time around, I am not wanting to take any chances. It was great my first two didn't have any problems, but I'm not doing it again. And SO is up my ass about it big time lol. I will quit this time, but I won't be starting back. I've wanted this for too long.

Quoting MommyRJ:

I gave myself 6 weeks to cut down and then just quit. All 3 babies now. This time was harder. Its been 7 months and its still hard.

I drank a lot of stuff with ice. Chewed the ice.

pregnancy due date
MamaRoss87
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I quit in January I just didnt wanna smoke anymore was tired of smelling like an ashtray and waking up to go outside when it was cold and the money i spent i was a 2 pack a day smoker and i just quit i ate alot of tootsie pops but it went away after a few months

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)